Makita 1013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of replacing my old Elu mitre saw I know a couple of people who own old Makita 1013's does anyone here own a new one are they still as good or even better ?

Chippy,

Here are a few members who own one, and a few reviews from the US, I hope it helps.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ita+ls1013

This one is from Martin

Makita LS1013 for me - it wasn't cheap, but once I got it home I soon realised where the money went - very nice to use. I actually went into the tool shop looking for one of the cheaper EB or Delta models, but (thankfully) they didn't stock them so I walked out with the Makita instead.

It has a brush motor, but don't let that put you off - after all, it's not as if the motor runs for that long anyway when you use it. Comes with a fold down stand which is sturdy but none-the-less easy to transport. You just take the saw off, kick the legs and it folds up flat - very clever design.

Reviews from the USA

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Makita_ ... t_abrtd_=1

This one is from Graham W

I can give another plug for the Makita LS1013. With a good quality blade the accuracy is absolutely spot on. No measurable deviation from the intended line at all over the entire length of cut. Excellent tool.

Graham W

This one is from Michel

Hello everyone,

just an update for anybody interested

After seeing and testing the Makita LS1214F sliding mitre saw at the axminster show on Thursday. I decided it was the one for me, although it is heavier and less portable than the LS1013, i liked the advantage of the extra capacity for my needs (mainly workshop use). The saw and stand has now arrived, however i haven't had a chance to set it up yet, because i need to finish painting the floor in the workshop

Will let you know how it performs in action once setup.

Regards

Michel

Apprantly Good Woodworking did a review in Jan 2004 so if I can find it I will PM you a copy of it

EDIT If you really want a bit of reading here's 102 more USA reviews

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0 ... ewpoints=1

Cheers

Mike

Chippy

I don't know about the new one as I have had mine for about 5 years and have never had a problem with it.

Although being honest the electronic brake sometimes does not kick in as it should, but this is about every 100 cuts then it is fine again. Not really a problem.

I also have the bosch equivalent, which is also a good piece of kit. I bought the bosch because the the mitre angle goes up to 62 deg, which is ideal for roofing trusses. The makita only goes to 47 deg.

Les

My LS1013 is about 6 years old now and apart from the brake being "reluctant" once in a blue moon like Les's it works as well now as the day I bought it. i.e. very very well indeed.

Apart from a shorter front knob (the turntable lock - which I retro-fitted to mine to make a bit more W/S space) the current ones look identical to mine. Maybe the "old" ones you refer to pre-date mine?

Blinding peice of kit, absolutely oozes quality, like Mike says it's easy to see where the money went. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks lads for all the replies.

I know 2 people who have had 1013's for around 10 or more years and I sometimes use them when we are on site together thats what made me think of retiring my old Elu 274.

I have noticed the brake not kicking in sometimes like you say.

On the new models there is a rubber shute at the back of the blade to improve extraction but I don't know if thats only on the bigger model.

The Makita will not disappoint.

Yesterday and today I was giving a pal a hand at trimming out a bloody awful new kitchen. The LS 1013 was top notch, easy half degrees, or less, and repeatability. Glass smooth cuts on compound angles.

Superb - So good I am trying to convince SWMBO that I "need" one.

I have two other good sliders (10 & 12) which I would sell to get one.

Stick to the 10" - way too much blade flutter on the12" to allow anything other than full kerf cuts.

Back