Making old beaded T&G joints with planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Making a cot stand. Basket sits in top. Rolls around on wheels etc. Misses thinks its a waste of time. Should just make a normal cot instead she says. But, thats not what this other bloke wants.

There's a couple of shelves that he wanted just ply inserted in. But, I had some offcut strips of silky oak that I wanted to find use for. So I thought I'd use that instead.

The only way I felt I could use these strips is with T&G joints running in grooves. So, I took some photos as I went. Thought , it be nice to see others find practical use for these planes.
1we.jpg

Many ways to skin a cat. So this is just a example of how you could do it. I usually kinda fall into joint making, often started simply by which plane I see first on the shelf. An approach that has got me into trouble more than once. :lol:

Anyway the panels go in grooves like so (excuse, some of the pictures are a bit blurry...there's no way I can re-take these photo's now)
Basically, a rebate in the end grain slots into the groove
2we.jpg

You can cut them cross grain if you like with a spurred plane, but lately I've found these much faster cut dropping straight into the end grain with a deep face on the fence and a tearout board clamped tight
3we.jpg

You can use any rebate plane....I prefer my 289 because it can take a heavier cut I've noticed with the thick blade I've installed.
4we.jpg

So, I put a rebate into both ends of each panel..... must remember to cut off square the tearout board before every cut, else it won't back out properly
5we.jpg
You can do many at once if you like. But I didn't want to stuff about today since it can be fiddly I've found ensuring they don't slide out of alignment.

End grain stuff done.....cut the T&G. Setup 4 planes for this. Actually you only need 3 really, but I didn't bother to centre the plough cut right, so I needed two different depthed rebates.

just a little fillister I made to cut the first rebate
6we.jpg

Then I beaded it......normally I'd bead first for better fence bearing, but I hadn't sharpened the left side of the blade properly for centre beads, so it could be messy. So I cleared the left side first with a rebate, and it was ok....beads are decrotive anyway.
7we.jpg

This ones a bad shot...sorry.....Just a 78 rebate cutting a rebate on the other side to form the tongue .....cutting down with the timber held vertically.... quick stable way of doing a rebate. Would have been better to do the first rebate this way too. But I didn't put much planning into it.
8we.jpg

Flip it and do the matching plough. My personal reminder, especially since its not centred properly, is to run fence on the right side !....
9we.jpg

End up with this sort of thing.
10we.jpg

11we.jpg

Still don't like the look of it. But it looks better than ply, and I used up some offcuts....which is hard work eh. Like most I save most offcuts, but they often arn't used and just take up space. :lol:

Lovely work, Jake =D> It's really interesting seeing all your hand-planing techniques coming together so well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi Jake,
I don't contribute much to your threads but I find them very interesting and inspiring. My specialty planes have certainly seen more use in recent months thanks to you. You've even got me hunting for a 55 now... :wink:

Thanks Paul and Frank. Fun and games.

The things gone now. Through it in the bosses spray booth this arvo.

Lovely thread Jake, I really enjoy looking/learning about these old techniques. Even though i've recently bought a new router, I still like to think I would do some handwork with speciality/moulding planes aswell, good job!

Ta Byron. Nice of you to say. I want more curves in my designs though. Looks too squarish. I want planes that can profile curves better. ..... my next project. :wink:

I may have to buy a new router soon. Thinking of getting a small makita trimmer.

Have a good day. :)

Back