Making a sled more slippery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'vebuilt a home built table saw built from a Makita site saw with a 25mm ply surround into which I've cut a mitre channel for a sled.

However I'm finding the sled sticks slightly as I push it across the table. It's not the runner, as that's metal , it's more the friction between the table base and table top. I've not treated either the top or sled base yet. Given I've got both a pressed steel section ( around the blade) and the ply how might I make the whole thing more slippery .

Thanks

Always keep a candle in my workshop for such things, although i also use Briwax for some stuff. Candles are good for the soles of planes.

As well as wax etc, I would make sure the ply runner is sanded very smoothly as well - down to at least 240, maybe even 400. I have bamboo runners on my sled, and I found that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not seen that before Hemsby, so thanks, i'll get me some of that as it looks very useful for a number of things.

It is really very useful & tough. I have used it on a number of sliding jigs. Also on the base & sides of some rustic draws, even fully loaded they slide effortlessly.

Another thing you might want to consider is sealing the edges of the slots with thin grade CA - superglue - poundshop stuff is fine. It wicks into the fibres of Plywood like a sponge and sets the fibres rock hard. Slide some 120, then 240 along the edges with a bit of square stock and it'll make them very smooth to the touch. Adding wax then will make it glide even better then.

rafezetter":1t5zz6in said:
Another thing you might want to consider is sealing the edges of the slots with thin grade CA - superglue - poundshop stuff is fine. It wicks into the fibres of Plywood like a sponge and sets the fibres rock hard. Slide some 120, then 240 along the edges with a bit of square stock and it'll make them very smooth to the touch. Adding wax then will make it glide even better then.

Another good tip, cheers.

The UHMW tape arrived today. What a difference that made. Perfect solution.

The other suggestions wouldn't work for me, as I've a metal slot and metal runner. I will be waxing the ply on the table though.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

MattRoberts":j8m7305c said:
Glad the tape worked. For future reference, the wax works just fine on metal too :)
Indeed - the Liberon wax is what I use on the cast iron tops of my table saw and bandsaw - keeps both smooth, and fights off the rust.

Latest posts

Back