Makes you think...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
These are geniune prices:
Olson reverse tooth blades-approx £1 per dozen.
Olson reverse tooth blades-approx £4.60 per dozen
One is priced in the US; one in the UK.
Can you guess which is our price?
Give me B&Q pinned blades anytime...
Bruce

Order them from the States then! Postage is going to be minimal and at that price they do not attract the attention of customs as they are below the threshold limit.

Have you actually tried a decent quality pinless blade? Try some flying dutchman blades from mikesworkshop then tell me you prefer pinned blades from B&Q.

Course it does depend what you are cutting, no point having a superior puzzle blade at 0.008" thick if you are cutting straight lines in inch thick timber. Any blade will cut a striaght line, but for intricate work pinned blades have a limit to their tolerance and turning circle that is far exceeded by pinless blades of any type. Not to mention fretwork and piercing cuts which are almost impossible with pinned blades due to the large hole required for entry.

As to price, due to the dollars fall against sterling American goods represent excellent value at the moment. Scroll saw blades are one of the few items we can get from stateside easily and cheaply so why not take advantage of the situation rather than moaning about it?

Steve.

I've just checked Mike's website and he's selling blades at roughly $2.60 - $2.85 per dozen. That's roughly £1.30 - £1.40 at current rates and you can get further discounts buying in bulk. A bulk order makes a lot of sense to me because you can get hundreds of blades in an envelope and they still don't weigh an awful lot.

If you prefer Olsen blades, they're available from CherryTree at $2.00 per dozen, although I've never actually dealt with this company. I'm sure you can quickly find other blade retailers too, although I'd be wary of buying from Wildwood Designs - I've heard the new owners of this company don't worry too much about shipping costs.

Gill

Thanks for the replies...
Since I bought five packs of pinless blades, each with three dozen blades in each pack, I think I've got enough to last me for awhile.
And then, I guess I'll be looking overseas for some more....especially when I feel the urge to cut something, anything other than straight lines...
Bruce

Latest posts

Back