Mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailor

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
I have been offered -as a gift - a single piece of mahogany which originally came from Belize, holding a house up and is about 80 years old.
It is 15" x 15" in section and is 10ft long.

Does anyone have any indication of how much it could be worth, as I would like to give the old lady that has it, as gift in exchange?

Many thanks,

Colin

It's worth sod all if she wants rid of it . I do understand that you would like to pay her for it but if she was to get someone to remove it they would charge her so you are probably doing her a favour .
When older ladies give me wood i normally give them a good seeing too but maybe a bunch of flowers maybe a better approach for you :D

I would go with the bunch of flowers too, a good seeing to might get you into trouble. :lol: Genuine Mahogany is as rare as chickens lips so worth it's weight in gold. I too have had some given to me and made a house sign out of a piece of it in return. :wink:

Evening,

Thanks!
I guess something like a jewelry box might well be a good suggestion.
It's a 'smart' piece of wood, never had any screws or anything in it and well polished by, I suppose, thousands of hands.
I think it will have to stay in storage for a while, until I can finalize what to do with it - I don't want to cut it until then, because as sure as anything, it will be wrong.

Colin

JFC- as a matter of interest, what happens when an old boy gives you some wood? :shock:

Old boys don't give me wood Bob , so your out of luck yer dirty ole pipper . :lol:

LeeElms,
Cutting it won't be a problem, I have access to a bandsaw set up for re-cutting. It has a capacity of 30inches I think it is - should be enough!

However, I think a good coat of looking at, will be the first approach.

Colin

If you end up with any 15x20x2" offcuts from that, let me know and I'll reward you handsomely! :D

Back