Mahogany Hall Cupboard with Satin wood cross banding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally managed to get this finished. Took a bit of time because I developed an allergy to the wood. The door, sides and top are veneered MDF.
Hall Cupboard 2 (1).jpg

Hall Cupboard 2 (2).jpg

Attachments

• Hall Cupboard 2 (1).jpg
    Hall Cupboard 2 (1).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Hall Cupboard 2 (2).jpg
    Hall Cupboard 2 (2).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 169
lovely piece of work there. How did you combat your allergy to the wood? I'm taking antihistimines daily on top of using a p3 mask when in the shop

Mahogany and Satinwood are a nice combination aren't they. Sorry to hear of the allergy, is it to a specific timber or to MDF?

My allergy is to south American mahogany and satinwood. It started when I turned some satinwood and didn't realize how toxic it is. I now have to take antihistamine tablets for a week before starting work and while doing the work. I also wear gloves and an airshield. This project was using up the last of the mahogany I used to make a cabinet. I appear to be ok with oak so no more mahogany furniture. I will take some more photos to show some of the detail, but I have to say now, my work looks best at a bit of distance!

Here are few more photos:-
Hall Cupboard 3.JPG
all the cross banding has a black and boxwood line between the mahogany and satinwood. Normally I use a 1.8mm boxwood and 1mm black line. Looking at this I think it would have looked better if I had stuck to that rather than having both 1.8mm. The top is veneered with sapele with a 4" fan in the centre.
Hall Cupboard 4.JPG
I would have liked to have used the same flame mahogany veneer I used on the doors but just didn't have enough. I'm fortunate to have a company in my home town that makes coffin kits for undertakers and they are very useful source of cheep sapele and oak veneer.
Hall Cupboard 7.JPG
The columns each side are South American mahogany with an inlayed line of boxwood.
Hall Cupboard 5.JPG
The drawers are oak lined with dovetail joints back and front. I have 3 dove tail jigs but prefer to use the one I made myself using a band saw and router. Made a bit od a mistake with the front dovetails, in that I didn't place a tail to cover the groove cut for the drawer bottom. Used a bit of filler there! Also made a mistake in placing the drawer handles.
Hall Cupboard 6.JPG
Should have placed them in line with the centre of the doors, it would have given much more symmetry. However as the cupboard is in a hallway and approached from the side, it still looks ok. The finish is Button polish and wax polish on top. Only thing left to do is to date it. I date all the things I make with a 2 pence of the year it was made set into somewhere discreet, but 2015 coins are not out yet.
Finally thanks for the positive comment, much appreciated.

Attachments

• Hall Cupboard 3.JPG
    Hall Cupboard 3.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Hall Cupboard 7.JPG
    Hall Cupboard 7.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Hall Cupboard 5.JPG
    Hall Cupboard 5.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Hall Cupboard 6.JPG
    Hall Cupboard 6.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Hall Cupboard 4.JPG
    Hall Cupboard 4.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 63
sawdust maker
let me make you a brass engraved plaque for you FOC
let me know what you would like putting on it and you address

its too nice not to mark with the makers name

Ian

Thanks Ian but the 2p has a significance. At school my woodwork teacher said he wouldn't give two pence for my woodworking skills. So I in-bed a 2p into each thing I make. That way everything I make is worth at least 2p. :D

sawdust maker":37fhau23 said:
but I have to say now, my work looks best at a bit of distance!

I wonder why woodworkers have an inbuilt compulsion to draw everyone's attention to the shortcomings in their work?

It's like the genetic opposite of the second hand car salesman resting his hand over a hole in the bodywork, as soon as anyone says "that's lovely" we'll point out a minor defect and discuss at great length any failure in our craftsmanship!

Believe me, this doesn't stop as you climb the woodworking ladder. I've had internationally respected makers shake their heads in sorrow and gesture towards some microscopically enlarged glue line in their work that any normal person wouldn't spot even with a magnifying glass. And I've heard that during Guild Mark appraisals it's the maker who is invariably the harshest critic, there's a story of one maker who submitted his piece covered in post-it notes with arrows pointing towards what he considered his gross failings!

sawdust maker":2lar6ys0 said:
Thanks Ian but the 2p has a significance. At school my woodwork teacher said he wouldn't give two pence for my woodworking skills. So I in-bed a 2p into each thing I make. That way everything I make is worth at least 2p. :D

I like that a lot =D> =D> =D>
If there was a smiley showing a middle finger to a woodwork teacher then this would be the place to use it.
Excellent skills and fine work, especially with all the veneer grain matching stuff. Totally beyond me. Very impressed.

Back