Mad-bits vs Forstner bits ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andrew,

others will tell you about Mad bits.........but Forstner bits will do a nice clean hole. To my mind, their major disadvantage is that it is very hard to align them exactly with a centre-mark. If the location of a hole is critical, I still head for the much maligned Spade Bits, which cut a perfectly dect clean hole, and have the huge advantage of being positionable to the squillionth of a millimetre.

Mike

The mad bits cut better than cheap imported fostner bits but are not as good as decent ones, due to their design they can wander in long holes if using a hand held drill.

My preference for a large hole that matters is the TCT hinge type drills, spades are OK where the quality is not so important.

Jason

Thanks for the feedback. What I'm cutting are mounting holes about 5cm deep for some 20mm diameter steel rods and accuracy is quite important. I'm sure the top of the range Forstners are "best" but I guess it is up to me to decide how good is good enough,

Andrew

Back