machining tree trunk into thin boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steliz":2pan40iz said:
I've recently done this with a load of Walnut and a some Plum and after some time I figured the best way was to make a flat side on the log using an electric plane and a straight edge and then run it through the bandsaw with the fence, flat side down.
I started with a new blade (3/4", 3 tpi), which worked very well for the first 50 or so cuts but the bark took the edge off it eventually. Also, with green wood, the blade will get choked up with fibres which will cause it to wander and it will need cleaning afterwards.

Spooky how great minds think alike :wink: +1 for Tuffsaws blades

Woody2Shoes":30ivjvi7 said:
Spooky how great minds think alike :wink: +1 for Tuffsaws blades

Indeed, although I only had a couple of logs that were big enough to split down the middle and I was cutting some of them for bowl blanks too.

I'd like to add my own thanks to contributors to this thread. I have an old cherry tree to take down later this year and have toyed with the idea of trying to salvage some usable timber but lack any experience. Bookmarked for future reference.
Paul

Back