Machine Mart Customer Service.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
Emailed MM CS on Saturday asking if they could supply a Riving Knife for the Clarke CTS10D.
Received a very clear email from them at 10:28 on Monday morning giving price, availability and full details for ordering by phone, post or email. Rang them - answered within seconds, person on phone very helpful, ordered without a problem. Total cost including shipping £10.07. Impressive customer service.

Martin.

Things must have improved, I emailed them twice a few years ago letting them know that their tarpaulins aren't waterproof and they never bothered to reply.

Well, what could they have said?

-but seriously, I'm sure that they get plenty of "Your *** are carp" messages - I suppose most large businesses do.

What could a response achieve?

Sometimes it's best to leave the dog sleep peacefully.

Martin.

MJP":1r65w1gx said:

-but seriously, I'm sure that they get plenty of "Your *** are carp" messages - I suppose most large businesses do.

Martin.

It's usually polite to acknowledge someones efforts.

MJP":2cpowy3j said:

Martin.
I was interested in whether they actually knew that their tarpaulins are not as waterproof as one would expect, and if they were aware perhaps it would be a good idea if they mentioned on their website/catalogue that their tarpaulins are not suitable for protecting whatever they are covering from rain.
These are the tarpaulins in question: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-16ft-x-20ft-approx-blue-silver-poly/
The description says "Water and tear resistant to withstand the elements, this tarp is UV treated and extremely durable and protective, whatever the conditions.
One might assume from that that a double thickness would be adequate protection from light rain, but it isn't, so I thought I'd see what their opinion was on that as a precursor to making a claim for the damaged furniture they were supposed to be protecting.
In the end I decided it wasn't worth the effort, I just never set foot in one of their junk shops again.

Good and bad service is common across most retailers, the issue is the consistency of either. I find Machine Mart's online service hit or miss whereas dealing with the store direct is bang on every time. Anonymity is not usually your friend in customer service in my opinion.

I doubt I would buy anything from Machine Mart again. I have had a lathe, bandsaw, oil filled radiator and disc sander from them, all Clarke branded. The lathe rarely ran true. The bandsaw couldn't cut a straight line no matter what you did. The radiator was broken on arrival, on contacting them they told me to keep it and they sent a replacement. It also was broken, but it worked. The disc sander is OK. Just. After some stripping and tightening of screws and nuts/bolts. I'll stick with Charnwood as they are decent quality and decent price.

pcb1962":3hwtlzbh said:
MJP":3hwtlzbh said:

Martin.
I was interested in whether they actually knew that their tarpaulins are not as waterproof as one would expect, and if they were aware perhaps it would be a good idea if they mentioned on their website/catalogue that their tarpaulins are not suitable for protecting whatever they are covering from rain.
These are the tarpaulins in question: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-16ft-x-20ft-approx-blue-silver-poly/
The description says "Water and tear resistant to withstand the elements, this tarp is UV treated and extremely durable and protective, whatever the conditions.
One might assume from that that a double thickness would be adequate protection from light rain, but it isn't, so I thought I'd see what their opinion was on that as a precursor to making a claim for the damaged furniture they were supposed to be protecting.
In the end I decided it wasn't worth the effort, I just never set foot in one of their junk shops again.

Are you honestly saying that you purchased a £20 tarp expecting it to protect your furniture outside in all the elements?

I'm not so keen on Machine Mart myself. You can only get store credit and not cash when I bought the wrong thing/changed my mind. That's all within a few days of purchase, unused etc.

They do have lots of toys on display at the shop though... but all Clarke (China) products that can be bought as another brand for less money elsewhere most of the time.

Adrian

powertools":vhqxhifn said:
pcb1962":vhqxhifn said:
MJP":vhqxhifn said:

Martin.

Are you honestly saying that you purchased a £20 tarp expecting it to protect your furniture outside in all the elements?
Are you honestly saying that a tarp at any price is fit for purpose if it lets through water in a light rain shower? :roll:

What i am saying is that a tarp of any price will get damp right through and if it is touching anything it is covering it will get wet.

Back