mac html editors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any recommendations for html editors for a mac? Is Bbedit still the best? What about free ones? Is there one which does CSS?

cheers
Jacob

MrJay":2ivnydrj said:
Any old text editor will let you do CSS.
And html. I know that. Dedicated text editors like BBedit just make it quicker and easier e.g. by one click tag making or table specification etc.
I've got dreamweaver on a disc somewhere but I've been avoiding it.

cheers
Jacob

BBedit is overkill

The best ones I used for my business were:

TextMate

CssEdit

and TextWrangler, you won't go wrong with those. Easy to use, industrial and professional strength when needed.

Jacob, if you want to learn the proper way and avoid crappy bloated code that breaks on various platforms, avoid dreamweaver, goLive, or any other so called WYSWIG - they are trash. You have a lot more control with a proper text editor, and once you have your main css templates setup, it's acutally quicker to make changes than it is with a WYSIWIG or what I like to call them WYSIWYDG (What you see is what you don't get).

I guess it's kind of like woodworking, we can all have mega-wonder jigs to do the work for us, but we never really hone our hand or design skills because of them.

Thanks for the advice. NVU looks like Netscape Composer - a highly under-rated programme IMO and good for beginners. The OU use it for their introductory web design course. Doesn't mention CSS in the NVU notes.
Byron - agree about Dreamweaver etc and will continue to avoid! I want to get on top of css as it seems the best way forward.
Just downloaded demo BBedit yes it is more than I need but at a simple level also works well, and I'm used to earlier version so might stick with it. Will look at others also.
I've got a friend using Dreamweaver - she produces wonderfully complicated sites which would be beyond me, but I have to keep pointing her back to the code to explain why things aren't working; usually because of having about 20 separate bits of CSS, inline, in heading and external, all working in different directions, and a complicated table layout.

cheers
Jacob

As a note Jacob, textmate and textwrangler have free versions which are excellent and are a more dedicated program to html editing than bbedit, here are many code-specific functions that speed things up.

almost all Wysiwig editors have a terrible in dealing with css correctly, and table layouts in this day and age shouldn't really exist, that is a sign of a lazy developer i'm afraid.

ByronBlack":3hgr427c said:
table layouts in this day and age shouldn't really exist, that is a sign of a lazy developer i'm afraid.
Except, of course, for tabular data :)

Cheers Mike

Mike, that is correct, but strictly, a table is not a layout when used for tabular data, it's a block level construct. :wink:

ByronBlack":3fa2mmte said:
Jacob, if you want to learn the proper way and avoid crappy bloated code that breaks on various platforms, avoid dreamweaver, goLive, or any other so called WYSWIG - they are trash. You have a lot more control with a proper text editor, and once you have your main css templates setup, it's acutally quicker to make changes than it is with a WYSIWIG or what I like to call them WYSIWYDG (What you see is what you don't get).

Well said, BB. I am sick to death of sites that produce non-standard code that promptly locks up Safari.

Generally agree that sticking to W3.org compliance standards are the way to go. I like "html-kit" (has a great graphical css interface and "textpad" (quickie editor) for Windblows and "Bluefish" for Linux, my main authoring tool.

They may have equivalents for the MAC

Have checked new all CSS site on a mac with Safari, IE, Netscape, FF and seems OK except slight variations with IE.
Would be grateful if anybody can be bothered to do a quick check on a PC if you have a moment.
http://www.pamelabutler.co.uk

cheers
Jacob

Jacob, looks fine in PC firefox, but I don't have a usable explorer to check it out.

You will have a number of problems with css layouts and explorer, this is mainly due to microsoft being filthy lazy swines and not supporting a global standard.

BUT most bugs are well-known and work-around and corrections are easy to apply that won't effect the layout in correctly standard supporting browsers.

Have a read of this post:
http://www.maratz.com/blog/archives/200 ... -explorer/

It will help you identify the bugs, and appply corrections.

dedee":2l1ybo8w said:
Looks good in IE6 too.

What software did you use in the end?

Andy
Thanks all for help and useful comments.
In the end didn't use software just typed the CSS as I felt I need to get to know it - but CSSedit looks good. Used BBedit fot the html as it's really handy for dropping in tags, but will look at options later as this is 30 day demo version.

cheers
Jacob

Back