Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

m33 x 3.5 chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

BluStu58

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a normal M33 x 3.5 3 jaw Chuck that can grip small diameters?

All I can seem to find is 3 and 4 jaw chucks with removable jaws but none that come lower than about 50mm diameter. I have a Record Maxi lathe with a S4 Chuck at present.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
BluStu58":1cz2bcg1 said:
All I can seem to find is 3 and 4 jaw chucks with removable jaws but none that come lower than about 50mm diameter. I have a Record Maxi lathe with a S4 Chuck at present.
Have you looked at all the accessory jaws available to fit your chuck?

I have Axminster and Axminster compatible 4 jaw chucks and have several accessory jaws that allow clamping of items down to 3-4 mm diameter.

Obviously not a via a dovetail configuration, but small items rarely need such clamping methods.

If specific small item clamping is needed then the wood/synthetic material clamping plate accessory jaws can be custom formed.

LaymarCrafts

Established Member
Reaction score
You can get a set of Engineering Jaws for the Axminster Chucks close to a couple of mm.

Listed on Axminster Web Site as Axminster Internal and External Safety Jaws, you will require the External Type.

Richard

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry I read S4 as sc4. Ignore my links.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Axminster sell a collet chuck which covers 2-13mm. Ideal for small diameters but each collet only has a small operating range.
Another alternative might be a jacobs chuck, either held in your scroll chuck or on a morse taper mandrel but in that configuration, a draw bar would be needed to keep it in the taper.
Toolpost used to sell a 2" chuck which went down to almost nothing but I'm not sure they still sell them (might be worth asking). I have one for occasional use and it probably doesn't even get used that often!

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by small?

I have set of pin jaws for the SC3 (also fits SC4) which go down to 9mm round.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
If nothing else works, you could try getting a collet chuck to fit in the jaws of your existing wood chuck. Then get collets to suit.
I have this arrangement for one of my lathes - a R8 ER40 collet chuck mounted in the jaws of a metalworking self centring chuck. Then I can hold work using suitable collets, although each collet only has a gripping range of 1mm.
Not a cheap solution. The collet chuck was about £25 off ebay second hand, and collets are around £7 each, from China. I have only bought the ones I needed at the time, because a set is just too expensive.

K

TA09

Established Member
Reaction score
Axminster chucks and the Versachuck can use engineering jaws

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Latest posts