Lyndhurst Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only plastic on the Jet Supersaw is the blade guard and the on/off buttons. If I was being flippant, the casing on the electrical flex is a form of plastic too, but not much else

All parts on the handwheels are cast, milled metal and steel, welcome to come have a look if you want.

As far as the Deft goes, I have only seen pictures but all the ones I have seen shows little evidence of plastic, could be mistaken though, my eyes are not what they once used to be. :wink:

wizer":omz7n5ln said:
Still confused here. Can you please be clearer as to which plastic parts you don't like on the SIP saw? As far as I can see the only plastic on it are the saw guard and some knobs. Surely this is standard? Are the knobs and guards on the super saw and deft not plastic?

The only plastic I can find on my SIP 01446 are the two blade adjustment wheel, the crown guard and the switch gear.

Unfortunately the height adjustment wheel broke on my saw. However, I think this was more down to the silly person delivery driver dropping the saw off the pallet.

P1000659.jpg

Note the jaunty angle of the riving knife.

Bluekingfisher":33a2yra8 said:
The only plastic on the Jet Supersaw is the blade guard and the on/off buttons. If I was being flippant, the casing on the electrical flex is a form of plastic too, but not much else

All parts on the handwheels are cast, milled metal and steel, welcome to come have a look if you want.

As far as the Deft goes, I have only seen pictures but all the ones I have seen shows little evidence of plastic, could be mistaken though, my eyes are not what they once used to be. :wink:

So it's just the plastic hand wheels on the SIP that put you off? I'm just trying to be clear on what it is you think is wrong with the SIP. As I don't want to make a mistake in buying it.

We've already agreed that the DEFT\Super Saw is in a different league to the SIP, but I'm trying to ascertain how far apart those leagues are. From what I have seen of the SIP saw, a few times, it's robust, solid with a good sized CI table. The fence rails are different in style to the american unisaw clones, but are well designed and glide freely. The rail locks positively and the indicator is clear to see. There's nothing wrong with extruded ali if it's designed and made well. I'm sure that some of the internal parts are of a lesser quality. But the parts stream is the same as the deft and no doubt the SS. As yet, I've not heard any serious issues arise with the SIP01332.

Perhaps the thing that puts you off is the name. Which I'm sure is what puts many people off, including myself initially. The rest of their brand is low-mid range clone stock.

I would have thought shipping something that weight with all the knobbly bits sticking out was an accident waiting to happen....

BUT...judging by the pride with which the owners of defended weapons here speak...these are probably arc welded to the frame with Kryptonite from the planet ZORG! :wink:

:D :D

Wizer get the Axminster T/S the trunnion is bolted to the cast iron and means that nothing gets strained.
Whereas arbour to the tin frame saws move or get stressed and most probably soon go off accuracy. IMHO.

You may well be right, the saw may perform well for you. I have had a little play with one in the past but not long enough to give an accurate review, I just felt there was something missing?

I think the photo posted by Hoopy sums up my view of this saw, again only my view, but I just think it looks tinny and crudely made, would it be too difficult to add a couple of quality handwheels and a robust NVR switch? I suppose these items could be up graded by the user but I would like to have seem them on the saw right out of the box. I think the user would be prepared to pay a little extra for such items, besides they will be used every time the saw is used

I must admit to feeling a little sheepish because it would seem I have stepped on a few peoples toes by decrying the SIP, so if I have caused offence, I apologise.

I think you're missing the point in my questions. I'm trying to ascertain what it is you don't like so I don't make a f*ck up. No toes trod, you've helped.

Tho you didn't give me a straight answer, I can only assume it is the hand wheels and the nvr switch that turned you off that saw.

Thanks for you're help

Wizer, I can't give you a reason to buy or not to buy this saw, I haven't used one for any lenght of time to pass judgement on its qualities.

I can only equate it to buying a house, when you turn up and your first impression is NO WAY! you won't buy it, it maybe a perfectly good house, you just wouldn't want to live in it.

Only an opinion!

i went to have a look at the SIP, i agree, it just seemed not quite what i wanted it to be, and when the guy trying to sell it to you says 'its only good as a hobby saw really', it puts you off further.

Having said that many people on here seem to be very complementary about them, and as they actually own the things, maybe their opinion should be held in a higher regard.

Luke

The problem is Luke, we don't have much to compare them to here in the UK. We just don't have the choice. I would agree with you though, my impression of it was a "hobby" saw although I'm sure they will handle light trade, up to a point and time span :duno:

L Harding":3tv8xzlj said:
i went to have a look at the SIP, i agree, it just seemed not quite what i wanted it to be, and when the guy trying to sell it to you says 'its only good as a hobby saw really', it puts you off further.

Having said that many people on here seem to be very complementary about them, and as they actually own the things, maybe their opinion should be held in a higher regard.

Luke

I know of at least two furniture making businesses that use the 12" 01446 saw, and they have been doing so for a few years. There was also a review of the same saw in one of the mags, again by a business user who rated it highly. Just because it does not look all flash and shiny does not mean its a bad saw. Mailee who is a member here uses his for business purposes too.

We could go on and on nit picking about plastic parts (of which mine has got 4) and it is most unfortunate that Hoopys was broken by the delivery driver, but with 220kg falling on it I think that even a metal wheel would have been damaged in some way.

Cheers

Mike

There are plenty of tablesaws to choose from but the problem is they start above £10,000, but go for the AxminsterAWs0 ////
, I dont know anyone here that has not been happy with theirs over the last five years after they have got the original setting up problems out of the way.

i never mentioned plastic! dont bring me into that one!

As i said, an owners opinion should be held in higher regard than mine, was just my first impressions. And the words of the salesman

L Harding":13wjdt2x said:
i never mentioned plastic! dont bring me into that one!

As i said, an owners opinion should be held in higher regard than mine, was just my first impressions. And the words of the salesman

Hi Luke, I am not bringing you into anything mate, I just pressed the wrong quote, sorry. :roll:

Anyway I have had enough of plastic bits and pieces to last a lifetime :wink:

Cheers

Mike

Morning Mike,

I'm not going to bring the 'P' word into it again :wink: but I have to hold my hands up on this one I think.

I took my planer blades into my local saw sharpening store last night and the shop has some SIP machinery on display.

Pride of place was taken up by the SIP cabinet saw with sliding table. I think this one was only the 10" version. I have to say though that the styling and the finishing on the saw has improved since my last sight of one. Admitedly the handles are still plastic but the tables look well machines and finished. The fence did as you claim, locked fast although when it went over 20" it didn't glide very well, this may because it wasn't set up properly. Another feature I wasn't sure about on the fence was the shortened "secondary" rip fence. I know this is an accepted practice to reduce binding of the blade and therefore minimise kickback. Having said that I didn't get a chance to look at it fully because the shop 'assistant' came over with his preamble.

Anyway, the saw looks worthy and now looks the part (IMO). It was on sale for £643.99 + vat. The sliding table was about 3 and a half or there abouts. It looks as though the left extention wing was bolted to the right side to provide a large surface when the sliding carriage is fitted.

Does the left wing come with the package? I never got a chance to investigate fully beause of the assistant and the wife was waiting outside in the car but would have thought all that weight on the right side without additional support could put a lot of stress on the bolts holding the extentions together.

Just a thought.

Bluekingfisher":1bkdeasq said:
Morning Mike,

I'm not going to bring the 'P' word into it again :wink: but I have to hold my hands up on this one I think.

I took my planer blades into my local saw sharpening store last night and the shop has some SIP machinery on display.

Pride of place was taken up by the SIP cabinet saw with sliding table. I think this one was only the 10" version. I have to say though that the styling and the finishing on the saw has improved since my last sight of one. Admitedly the handles are still plastic but the tables look well machines and finished. The fence did as you claim, locked fast although when it went over 20" it didn't glide very well, this may because it wasn't set up properly. Another feature I wasn't sure about on the fence was the shortened "secondary" rip fence. I know this is an accepted practice to reduce binding of the blade and therefore minimise kickback. Having said that I didn't get a chance to look at it fully because the shop 'assistant' came over with his preamble.

Anyway, the saw looks worthy and now looks the part (IMO). It was on sale for £643.99 + vat. The sliding table was about 3 and a half or there abouts. It looks as though the left extention wing was bolted to the right side to provide a large surface when the sliding carriage is fitted.

Does the left wing come with the package? I never got a chance to investigate fully beause of the assistant and the wife was waiting outside in the car but would have thought all that weight on the right side without additional support could put a lot of stress on the bolts holding the extentions together.

Just a thought.

Hi Mate, the P word is not in my vocabulary this early in the morning (especially when my nerves are shot from giving up smoking) so I'm glad that you didn't bring it up :D

Yes the short secondary fence does look a bit odd, but as you say it is there to stop binding and most of all the dreaded kickback. The only other real option is to have a shorter main fence, but unless these are well made they can be a problem because they are only fixed and so locked at the front end.

As for the left and right hand extensions, yes both of them come with the saw, and if you buy the sliding table you can put both them on the right hand side, where I am sure you are right when you say that if they were left without support they would put a lot of strain on the bolts holding them there, and would no doubt (because of their heavy weight) bend the bolts in the end. But to stop this you do get two adjustable legs to support the weight.
In fact we were talking about this on another thread https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=37386 where HeadClansman is waiting for his saw to arrive. The trouble is because I got my sliding table with the saw I could not say if the legs come with the saw or you only get them if you buy the sliding table.

I am surprised that the dealer did not have these legs fixed to the saw, because I know that when I put both of the extensions on the right side of my table it almost tipped over. Maybe as Head Clansman said the 12" is a lot bigger then the 10", although I was sure that it was only an inch or two.
Was the sliding table fitted, because maybe that couter balanced the weight?

Cheers

Mike

Oh dear! :( Just had a read of the other thread by HC, That is my pet hate,when you go to all the bother like HC has done and then you get let down at the last minute, not to mention having to re arrange plans because some A**hole can't be jacked to do their job right. Fortunately my saw arrived dead on the button with before and after service. So I guess I now know the problems faced when dealing with rutlands.

Anyway, I never noticed to be honest if they had support legs on the SIP in my local, under the table was all stuffed with Xmas boxes and tinsle so never saw past all the commercial nonsense, but it did have the sliding attachment fitted so no doubt the legs would have been in there somewhere.

I was just having a look at the SIP saw advertisement images on various sites, the new saw, assuming it is a newer version at my local has different rise/fall/tilt handles and the body is a single colour (battleship grey ) personally I think this version looks better. I not famailiar enough with the saw to notice any other slight variations which may be added.

Fingers crossed for HC that his new toy arrives Monday, I picked up all the bits and bobs from Axminster this afternoon from the Post Office for my planer so hopefully I'll be allowed to spend some time assembling it all this weekend.

Have a good weekend mate! and stay away from the dreaded weed

Today I have ben looking at the Jet JTS-600

I was side by side comparing the Record TS200c and the Jet
Both have their good and bad points, but the Jet just seems to have that little extra, when you turn the handwheels, they are rock solid, almost doing the turn for you, the sliding table feels incredibly smooth, and the fact I can remove the sliding attachment means it's more accessable for people working in a garage sized workshop, and my local suplier is beating Axminsters price as well :?

I must admit I do like the SIP, but it's a big lump, and much heavier than the Jet, but it's a great price :?

Still not made a complete decision, but need it done befor the dreaded 2.5% vat rise :(

Cheers

Jed

Decisions, desicions!! :? I guess you'll just have to go with the one that makes you smile when you walk into your workshop :D

I have always had an idea of what I wanted and the Jet was for me the closest I could come to it. Sadly I won't get a chance to play with it untill next spring because I am building a new workshop in the garden. I didn't want to lose out on it asmy particular model isn't made anymore sadly, so I'll just have to store it in the corner for a few months :(

I haven't seen the JTS 600 in the flesh, but as I understand it is the newer version of mine with the slidig table. Will you have space for all that extra footprint in your workshop, although, it will be very handy if you dimention a lot of board material

Bluekingfisher":2a00nvze said:
Oh dear! :( Just had a read of the other thread by HC, That is my pet hate,when you go to all the bother like HC has done and then you get let down at the last minute, not to mention having to re arrange plans because some A**hole can't be jacked to do their job right. Fortunately my saw arrived dead on the button with before and after service. So I guess I now know the problems faced when dealing with rutlands.

Anyway, I never noticed to be honest if they had support legs on the SIP in my local, under the table was all stuffed with Xmas boxes and tinsle so never saw past all the commercial nonsense, but it did have the sliding attachment fitted so no doubt the legs would have been in there somewhere.

I was just having a look at the SIP saw advertisement images on various sites, the new saw, assuming it is a newer version at my local has different rise/fall/tilt handles and the body is a single colour (battleship grey ) personally I think this version looks better. I not famailiar enough with the saw to notice any other slight variations which may be added.

Fingers crossed for HC that his new toy arrives Monday, I picked up all the bits and bobs from Axminster this afternoon from the Post Office for my planer so hopefully I'll be allowed to spend some time assembling it all this weekend.

Have a good weekend mate! and stay away from the dreaded weed

Yeah it is a bit rough on Head Clansman. I really do hate it when companies let you down like that, especially when he went to all the trouble of letting them know that he would not be there to accept it in the early part of next week because of hospital appointments. And it isn't as if he just bought it yesterday, this saw was on back order.

As for the weed, yes I am still resisting it and hopefully can class myself as a non smoker :roll:

Have a good weekend yourself.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back