LV Dovetail saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pete,

a dovetail saw and a tenon saw both are filed rip according to Chris Schwarz.

That being said, you can use a rip filed saw for crosscuts. It will be harder to start and causes more tearouts. Tage Frid used only rip filed saws.

Cheers
Pedder

I think that is really what they were filed traditionally when saws were used for their own particular purpose - dovetail, carcase, sash, tenon etc.

As D/t's and tenons are cut down the grain (in part) rip is fine. Across the grain Cross cut performs much better. So perhaps two Tenon saws?

But what you find now is that saws are more multi purpose and the really heavy tenons of yore have gone out of fashion some what?
In one of Chris Schwarz's articles he shows a photo of tenons being cut with a 26" handsaw!
Not sure about LN's but Gramercy do their Carcase saws in Rip and Cross and Wenzloff will make what you want? :)

Rod

Actually, the LV dovetail saw isn't bad at small cross grain work - something to do with it having more fleam than a tradition rip filed saw (or so I believe)...

cheers
Mike

cambournepete":16sevczq said:
Maybe I need the LV dovetail saw now and the tenon saw when they release it...?

Yes, I also have my eye on the tennon saw, does anybody know anything as to a release date?? Rob, are you watching?

I already have the LN dovetail saw, so I can't really justify the LV, but it has crossed my mind a few times :twisted:

Cheers

Aled

Aled Dafis":261lmz2j said:
I already have the LN dovetail saw, so I can't really justify the LV, but it has crossed my mind a few times :twisted:

Same here, but for £36 I was almost thinking of getting it just to see what its like :D

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":26fqgtg6 said:
Aled Dafis":26fqgtg6 said:

Same here, but for £36 I was almost thinking of getting it just to see what its like :D

Cheers, Ed

Great minds think alike :roll:

Back