Luna L38-310 planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan42

Reaction score
Hi all, I am now the proud owner(':tool:') of one of these machines, courtesy of ebay and a trip to south Wales. Gosh, it's heavy! The plate says 265 Kg. It seems basically OK though rusty, although when I ran it for the first time there were clouds of smoke after a minute or so... the starter switch inside the Siemens single phase motor had stuck and the small capacitor had got seriously warm. I stripped the motor, freed the switch and I think it's OK now.

I would be most grateful for any advice about this machine. The fence is missing, and the guard is not attached. Just looking at twelve inches of death belting round terrifies me, I hope no-one actually used it like that. I can't see how the guard fits, it seems to be a parallellogram arrangement but the bracket it bolts on to is set below the table so the two arms foul the table. Should the mounting bracket be the other way up? I can make a new fence in steel, but information about what the original looked like and what it fits onto would be really helpful. I have fabricated a handle for the thicknesser from some steel tube - works fine. The blades are worn as well as blunt - am I right in thinking that they are the same as Wadkin blades? Are there different quality blades available, and what do people recommend? Finally, if anyone has any accessories like a chuck I would be interested. Yours in hope, Alan :tool:

Welcome aboard Alan, sorry i can't help with your problem,
but i'm sure one of the other's can offer some good advice. :)

Luna went bust,I think.

On the upside, they made great machines.

Blades, try asking Method Tools or a local saw doctor - they'll probably know or be able to look up the sizes (and slots, if appropriate).

Can't hep with the fence or guard - with the latter sounds like something missing - try posting some pictures?

Thanks for the info, I have a local saw shop and will wheel the blades in, thry will be a bit disappointed that I'm not buying the Record P/T they tried to sell me. This has not been one of my better ebay buys; a 600 mile round trip, the motor is kn*ckered, and the new switch the seller supplied, which he said he had not had time to fit, turns out to be a single or 3 phase one that is rated 7.5 HP on 3 phase but only 2HP in the single phase flavour. The vendor is not being helpful so far... has anyone tried the £95 3 HP motors on ebay?[/img]

Back