Lumber Wizard.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knox-on-Wood

Established Member
Reaction score
It would appear that the large version of the Lumber Wizard is no longer available. Has anyone any experience of other metal detectors that can detect nails etc. on reclaimed timber?

I use an handheld metal detector. Similar to those used at some airports. Amazon if I remember correctly.
Hand Held Metal Detector Wand Security Scanner UD001. Thats the one I have.

Hi Knox-on-Wood - did you go with the UD001 scanner and if so is it any good for working with nail strewn reclaimed timber?
Thanks

I use a rare earth magnet about 1/2" square by 2". It pull sharply on any iron/steel close to the surface so I mark it and dig it out.
Then plane cautiously and check again with the magnet and for signs of nail holes - easier to see once you've cleaned up the surface with the first pass.
I couldn't say which one to buy - the first I had worked brilliantly but the second was less powerful but still worked. A bit of research called for!
Also brilliant for finding screws in plasterboard.
PS Very easily lost - I found one which had attached itself under a bike frame and been on holiday to France. Best kept in a plastic beaker or similar and then stood on top of a machine or something steel where it won't shift and will be easily seen.
Also brilliant for getting nails out of woodburner ashes (when cold). They stick to the outside of the beaker and drop off into the waste bin when you pull the magnet out of the beaker.

Jacob":3on54t0d said:
I use a rare earth magnet about 1/2" square by 2". It pull sharply on any iron/steel close to the surface so I mark it and dig it out.
Then plane cautiously and check again with the magnet and for signs of nail holes - easier to see once you've cleaned up the surface with the first pass.
I couldn't say which one to buy - the first I had worked brilliantly but the second was less powerful but still worked. A bit of research called for!

Yep, that's what I do too, but with a much smaller magnet.

Jacob":2q3m499m said:

And for finding studs in old lath and plaster walls (the magnet will find nail heads and if you find a vertical line of nail heads you've likely found a stud).

Back