Lovely box of old tools on ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£66
The only thing I like is the parallel iron in the top woodie I wonder what size it is :)

If this sells for more then I'll throw a box together with a load of gear and be rich.
TT

Who know what happens if people get carried away but I would spend about £100 of my hard earned.

Looks like I've cramped a couple of peoples style by posting this. Obviously they wanted to make a killing and believe they can't now. What a selfish, greedy attitude.

Scouse":3sb5ll8e said:
AndyT":3sb5ll8e said:
We don't have a formal rule saying 'don't draw attention to live listings on eBay'

Perhaps it should be a formal rule

Grayorm":3sb5ll8e said:
But what if no one had seen it and I did someone a favour who buys it? I don't want it and was giving someone else a chance at it.

Very altruistic... But suppose someone, lets say you for the sake of arguement does want it, then someone flags it up on a forum full of woodworkers?

Are you going to draw our attention to listings you are bidding on, and hope to win at an acceptable price?

Surely 'a forum full of woodworkers' is where it should be flagged up....you know, just in case one of the woodworkers wants to buy it?

I think on the basis ebay is an open market place have a policy of hiding it would seem odd. If it means potentially one forum member misses out on a bargain vs other members getting advice and feedback before making a purchase I know which one I would choose.

why not post a link to something you would like to buy, in case other people wants to buy it too? "...you know"

G S Haydon":2m84y8m4 said:
I think on the basis ebay is an open market place have a policy of hiding it would seem odd. If it means potentially one forum member misses out on a bargain vs other members getting advice and feedback before making a purchase I know which one I would choose.

If it is you missing out, do you still "know which one you would choose?"

Ebay is a competitive auction, not an open market place. If an item comes up which is at or below a percieved value then highlighting it on a forum with 13000 registered members is not providing a service "just in case one of the woodworkers wants to buy it?", but is increasing the competition in the auction.

So, before you go around firing off accusations and insults:

Grayorm":2m84y8m4 said:
Looks like I've cramped a couple of peoples style by posting this. Obviously they wanted to make a killing and believe they can't now. What a selfish, greedy attitude.

have a little respect, use a little common sense and let everybody find their own ebay bargains; it's not as difficult as you seem to think.

Grayorm":111om84s said:
Scouse":111om84s said:
AndyT":111om84s said:
We don't have a formal rule saying 'don't draw attention to live listings on eBay'

Perhaps it should be a formal rule

Grayorm":111om84s said:
But what if no one had seen it and I did someone a favour who buys it? I don't want it and was giving someone else a chance at it.

Very altruistic... But suppose someone, lets say you for the sake of arguement does want it, then someone flags it up on a forum full of woodworkers?

Are you going to draw our attention to listings you are bidding on, and hope to win at an acceptable price?

Surely 'a forum full of woodworkers' is where it should be flagged up....you know, just in case one of the woodworkers wants to buy it?
Thanks for posting the original link. Personally I am not that interested, you win some you lose some....
Whats the editors favourite maxim? "Publish and be damned" :lol:

I did notice that all money raised goes to the charity workaid so maybe it's not a bad thing that the listing was highlighted here?

Not sure what the fuss is about.

Look what's there - a beaten up box with the lock missing, a worn out oilstone with no top to the box, several saws (the dovetail saw having coarser teeth than one of the tenon saws) slung into the bottom of the box - not even in a till of any sort, a large selection of worn out chisels, a brace but no bits, half a set of plough irons but no plough plane, no bench planes, no squares, a couple of screwdrivers, a hammer and some odd spanners.

Wizard's right. It's tat.

I really can't see a problem with someone highlighting something on the bay. Myself I'm not interested but were I, then I'd be pleased it was mentioned.
Don't we have enough rules as it is without adding more?

I'd rather people didn't post links to supposed eBay "bargains" as it's a very subjective issue as can be seen from this post, and most of them aren't bargains when the auction closes. But mainly I don't want to see the forum clogged up with endless posts about some old tat they have seen on eBay.
Andy

Latest posts

Back