lost sound on desktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Con Owen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Have recently lost sound on desktop (window 7 operating system). I have checked settings and everything shows up as normal. Sound system is creative 5.1. I have checked all connections and double checked them and they appear fine. Sound System has been working fine (from last July) until recently. Unable to use system restore as used it recently to resolve another problem berfore I realised the sound was not working. Have approached the computers makers they talked me through various checks without any success.

The problem here is actually tracking down which part of the system is causing the problem. I've had problems like this in the past on my desktop where sound disappeared which was caused by the system settings for some reason changed to the built-in basic sound hardware on the motherboard rather than the Creative Audigy 2 card I use. I ended up looking at the sound settings and drivers via the control panel and changed back to the Audigy. Also i have had to check the settings for volume, balance etc as they can (for some reason I don't understand) change to a low setting or even be switched off.

Misterfish

Does the sound equipment work OK on a laptop perhaps.
If so its as Misterfish most probably said its one of those audio settings that inexplicably get changed, or settings get muted.
Have you let windows 7 put in updates? That someimes causes conflicts?

Hi Misterfish and devonwoody
Thanks for info

I have spoken again to the manufacturers. The guy there talked me through some tests one of which was confiming that when using the headphone socket their was sound. There was, so he is going to set up a computer with the same settings as mine then talk me through amending some settings that he thinks has changed. If he comes back and resolves the problem I post it.

Con

Back