Looking to learn

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyone

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that i have left school i am looking for someone to take me on over the summer and possibly into the following two years. I am going to chichester college two days a week starting September, doing a furniture making course and want to work the other 3 days. I am based in East Sussex and am very keen to work with someone in furniture making i feel that i could be a useful asset and i am very keen to learn.

I'm posting this topic not just to ask for a job but to see if anybody knows of someone who wants to take me on, or to ask if you have any advice in finding what i am looking for.

Thanks

Woody.

Thanks

This is very helpful and has raised some new names that i had not seen before.

Woody.

Woody

Good on you, as they say. I admire your approach to getting a job. If I were seeking employees in your area you would be top of the list!

Keep on trying, put yourself about. Make yourself known to all potential employers in your area. Go to them - they won't come to you will they? Join more forums and put in posts like the one here. You'll get a job.

Good Luck. Let us know how you get on.

Richard

Have you tried this forum

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/index.php

Normally referred to here as 'the other place'

There are possibly more trade people there. Maybe a bit more of a cynical bunch but as Thomvic says, you need to put yourself about a bit.

Have you had the opportunity to make pieces that you could show prospective employers? maybe reports from your college tutors and any character references you can get. Even attendance records show character traits.

Maybe even offer your effort free for a couple of weeks? Clearly don't make this your opening bid as some unscrupulous types could exploit you but it might just tip the balance in your favour.

I admire your drive to find work and wish you all the best in your search. It will be tough out there and successful candidate will need to stand out from the crowd. Your apparent enthusiasm will really help here.

Good Luck!!

Bob

Thanks very much for the advice, i will try to look at the website tonight as i have not seen it before. I have had some time to make some examples of work especially now that i am not at school but i did not think to show them to potential employers, i think i will defiantly consider this when i find a potential employer.

Woody.

Back