Looking to buy a Metal Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SChop

Reaction score
Hi all looking to buy a metal lathe for making bike parts like grips, foot pegs spacers axles, threading etc

I dont have any experience with Lathes and dont want to spend more that 150-200£ for the first one till i find out what i really need from it

I have looked at Myford ML4 which seem to go within my budget

would this be capable of the tasks i have in mind and what should i look for when buying one and does it have any limitations?

Anyone recommend any other models that would be suitable and within the budget?

Looking to buy on the 25th so have a couple weeks to research it :)

Thanks

I am biased but I think it's hard to beat a Myford Super7 for a home shop user, very well made machines. Hard to find close to your budget though.

sometimes available at slightly less than the super 7, would be a Boxford.
I doubt if you could find an A, or B, but a C in tired condition might be available, although they do not have screw cutting.
big and old fashioned can sometimes get you what was a high spec machine, but it will weighty.

Thanks the super 7 looks perfect but alas out of my range

Will have a look at the Boxford

Have been looking on ebay but so many different types out there takes a lifetime reading up on them

I don't mind it being really old in fact I prefer the look of the old ones just want it to be able to perform all the tasks

Thanks

To do threading of anything above M10, you really want something that can do 'screwcutting', which is the term for a lathe that can cut threads of different pitches.
Another consideration is that most older lathes will be setup for Imperial thread pitches, which can sometimes be easily converted over to Metric, sometimes not - this often involves a screwcutting gearbox or lots of 'change wheels'. It makes life fun to be able to do both, but the hassle factor of converting from Imperial to Metric does depend on the work you are looking to do.

U doubt you're budget will get you very far. Apart from getting lucky on ebay. I think you could get something useable for about 400, as your only looking at doing small items. Try looking for old lathe on ebay as sometimes reallies of the deceased wint have a clue what they are trying to sell.

Adidat

An old continental machine will be metric. I have two prewar German Boley lathes of different sizes, which are excellent machines. Harder to find in this country, especially for the screw cutting versions but not impossible.

English makes to look at besides Myford (which tend to be costly) are Boxford, Smart & Brown, Colchester, Harrison.

www.lathes.co.uk is a fantastic resource for looking up specs of old machines.

An issue that has not been mentioned yet is space and access / handling. I have a Myford M series and I can just about manage to lift it on my own as long as the stand is separate. The lathe and stand fit easily in my Focus estate. I was offered a Colchester Master just atter buying the Myford and couldn't resist it, but it is a different beast, weighing in at nearly a ton and needing a trailer with hydraulic crane to deliver. You might need to consider these aspects before deciding, if your workshop has restricted access. Also the Colchester is 3 phase - another possible issue, although I have seen plenty of adverts for Colchesters and Boxfords which are single phase. Be careful with Boxford - some models do not have screwcutting facilities, so check first. It is not feasible to retro-fit a screw cutting mechanism to them. The website lathes.co gives details of hundreds of lathes but the sheer number of makes and models is just staggering. You would also need to consider spindle thread size /tpi in case you end up with something that you can't easily get a chuck or faceplate for. Myford and Boxford are pretty standard threads.

If you are interested I am thinking of selling the Myford now. Pm me for details if so.

K

Hi graduate_owner yes I might be interested in buying your lathe and I don't think you are too far from me either!, I've not been a member long enough to send PM messages on here and the forum wont let me post my email address so maybe if you could send me a PM first it might let me reply?

Thanks also everyone for the info and considerations so far!

Thanks

You could always go for a new small Chinese one from the likes of Warco, ARCEurotrade etc.

Rod

Harbo":2vndmcd9 said:
You could always go for a new small Chinese one from the likes of Warco, ARCEurotrade etc.

Rod

Yeah i have looked at that option but the reviews in majority are shockingly bad the ones that seem to be half decent like the Warco you have mentioned are high in demand and still very highly priced on the used market.

I really like the look at the Myfords, they are common enough to be affordable and there is a century of user knowledge and spares for them too.

I think I have managed to PM 'graduate_owner' now so will see what he has

marcros":1ywc0fue said:
i was recommended this book to get me started. https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/the- ... 0852422885

I bought a copy and it looks very comprehensive. Slowly reading through it whilst i build a bench and get my lathe set up.

Great thanks for the link, will pick a copy up.

I've been watching clips on youtube in the mean time there's a lot on there for beginners

What Lathe have you got and what do you plan to use it for?

hopefully it will be. Like you, I didnt want to spend a fortune, and this one looked complete when I bought it. There will certainly be a steep learning curve, but I hope to use the winter to learn the basics.

Hi SChop,
My Myford is probably as old, or slightly older than me, and I am 66. I bought it about 2 years ago and literally have made nothing on it because I have the Colchester. I have kept it because the spindle thread is the same as my ML8 wood lathe, and I was thinking perhaps to use the screw cutting facility to cut threads in hardwood, using my ML8 wood holding kit. Possibly some basic ornamental turning too, but realistically it is not going to happen, so I may as well pass it on to someone who will use it. I will probably sell on my ML8 too. Five lathes is just too many. (Colchester, Union Graduate bowl lathe, Viceroy wood lathe, ML8 and M series metal lathe).

K

graduate_owner":3vwvzrn0 said:
Hi SChop,
My Myford is probably as old, or slightly older than me, and I am 66. I bought it about 2 years ago and literally have made nothing on it because I have the Colchester. I have kept it because the spindle thread is the same as my ML8 wood lathe, and I was thinking perhaps to use the screw cutting facility to cut threads in hardwood, using my ML8 wood holding kit. Possibly some basic ornamental turning too, but realistically it is not going to happen, so I may as well pass it on to someone who will use it. I will probably sell on my ML8 too. Five lathes is just too many. (Colchester, Union Graduate bowl lathe, Viceroy wood lathe, ML8 and M series metal lathe).

K

That's quite a collection!

Did you get my PM? I think it sent though not 100% sure

Latest posts

Back