Looking for waterproof and food safe glue.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderchad

Established Member
Reaction score
Been hunting around over the last couple days at the usual sites and can't find a strong glue that is both waterproof and food safe. I am putting together a chopping board for a friend who is mad about cooking and using all my beech offcuts to make an end-grain up board.

I have searched the net and these forums and couldn't find any further info, anyone know of a brand or place that may help?

Cheers,

Chad.

Just found my answer after talking to a friend in Canada who makes a lot of kitchen stuff and he said Gorilla glue is food safe and oderless. Sorry for the wasted thread... :roll:

Hi builderchad
I am not sure of what glue to use but you should tell your friend that there is no need to soak it as timber chopping boards are much safer than plastic ( has beeen proved than grems die back when on wooden chopping boards :) )
you could try http://www.glue-shop.com/

Thanks for the link Colin, looks like a good site. I will tell my freind not to soak the board. We have an old one that has spent the odd night in the sink but managed to survive unscathed.

I have seen references here and there and it looks like 3 - 4 coats of olive oil is all I need to finish it. Is this right?

i have a large blank of walnut that will suit a chopping board in the single piece it's in. Is this suitable, as your cutting on the face and not end grain.

Andy

I dont think walnut is food safe as in the way beech is but I know someone will lets us know if I am wrong 8-[ :)

Colin C":3icr9alu said:
Olive oil is good and let them know that they need to oil it every now and then :)
I thought olive oil was bad because it never dries and just goes rancid after a while.
It's also likely to flavour food you chop on the board.
I use ordinary vegetable oil which dries properly, doesn't flavour the food and is much cheaper than olive oil.
Pete

Ahh cheers Pete, glad I found out that now. Be horrible to give someone a rancid chopping board :shock:

Latest posts

Back