Looking for large diameter lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanP

Reaction score
A great forum you guys have here, have spent a good while looking trough the different posts, finally time to ask for your help :wink:

I am looking for a lathe to make up some clocks, the finished diameter I am looking for is 18.5'' made up from 1'' red deal joined, I am thinking along the lines of a Wadkin BL150, is there anything else that would do the job as well I could be looking for?

I have done some wood turning in the past, but not at those dimensions and am a bit unsure as to how I would go about mounting the wood, basically it's a 18.5'' dia with a 10'' opening and all the turning on the front face and edges.
Any help there would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Sean

Hi Sean,

Will you be doing any spindle work at all ? if so then dont look for a dedicated bowl lathe, just one with a swivvel head for overhang face turning.

Whats your budget ?

new or 2nd hand ?

also - you an IWG member yet ? :D

Thanks loz, haven't any plans as yet for spindle work, suppose up to €1000 for a second hand one really, most seem to be 3 phase though, not sure if the inverter/variable speed would be much help to me as well.

IWG - not yet :wink:

loz":2o0lx2lc said:
SeanP":2o0lx2lc said:
€1000 for a second hand one really,
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/1606813

Is that to much? :lol:

Yeah I keep looking at those on there :-k didn't want to dive in just yet in case it wasn't the right type of machine.

Does turning larger diameter require more powerful motor or does the lower gear make up for that?

Your asking the wrong guy - someone else will be along soon with advice im sure.

Regs

laurence

At least a 1 1/2hp motor if not more would be best for that sort of diameter. I have a Hegner with 1hp motor and 3 gears and can stop it doing large diameter work even on the lowest gear.

john

miles_hot":2fpan7zx said:
Consider a Graduate and a free standing tool rest....

Thanks for that, hadn't thought of that method :wink:
Just doing a google came up with this maybe making up a setup like this could be another option :-k

I have a VB and can stop that too. It has a 2 horse motor and they nowadays have a 3 horse as standard ( I'm not jealous).

Just depends on how hard you want to work it. There are a number of lathes like the VB, graduates (a bit small) general(?) wadkins that are Dalek like and give good all round access for face turning.

Lathes.uk is a good source of lathe info.

Back