Looking for house extension ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all we've decided to extend our 2 bed semi and I'm in the middle of drawing up plans. Even though I've worked on plenty of extensions in my time I never get involved in the design. Ideally I want a large light and airy kitchen diner but we could do with fitting another bedroom in too. Here's one layout I've come out with so far. If anyone wants to throw in some ideas please do. I've been googling but it just seems to be the same stuff coming up and I've not seen anything that would work well with my house.

8f5590ee44d4d62bf6993049cf295ddc.jpg

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Just in case you can't see those here's a JPEG of some visio drawings

646c8dbbc00043aa04c1ad6f4d3026a2.jpg

Have you looked on houzz.co.uk? It's more interior design to be fair but there's a boat load of pictures of extensions to be looking at. Might spark an idea or 2.

Cheers yeah I'm sure that came up on google. It seemed to be full of ads though so I didn't look any further. I will take another look.

It's just getting the right layout really I pretty much know its gonna be a 6m x 4m box on the rear. At one point it was having a low pitched tiled roof but a Roofer I was talking to said he don't think veluxes should be used on such low pitches . He reckons they usually end up leaking. So I decided to go flat roof with a dome.

I use the houzz app on the ipad, haven't noticed add's really. I quite like flat roofed buildings with raised glazed sections (can't remember what there called :oops: ), the edpm membranes seem a better roofing solution than felt and look better from upper windows imo.

Hopefully a helpful architect will be along soon..

Lanterns do you mean :)

Yeah I did look at rubber roofing I will see how it compares with felt price wise

It would be helpful if you could put room names on your drawing so we can see which rooms you plan to use for what.

From looking at your proposed drawing, I would personally do away with the dividing wall in the new extension and keep it as one larger open plan space.

Although house design is very subjective as it depends on how you live and how you would like to live. What I mean by this is some people like open plan living and some can't stand it. Its worth considering noise and smells though if you're going open plan as noise and smells both travel!! :twisted:

Yeah pretty straight forward really top right is bedroom/study left is kitchen diner. This however leaves the small room with no windows so mechanical vent would be needed so not a good idea.

Ideally I want open plan but it'd be good to get something somewhere we can class as a bedroom for when we sell in the future

An orangery? -include a small lantern in the kitchen maybe much more attractive than a velux / dome.

The walls can be combinations of brick / windows / doors / corner posts.

flat roof can have an attractive fascia or contemporary overhang (try david salisbury, bhm joinery, apropos, for ideas)

If you need planning be aware of the 45 degree rule for light from your neighbours window. 3metres back for permitted, up to 6 metres under large householder scheme (with neighbour consultation)

Yeah we are probably going the larger route otherwise like you say its up to 3m

Confusingly if you want to be fully covered for paperwork, you require to make a large householder application to prove you comply, once your local authority has approved that, you then need an application for certificate of lawfulness. They cant run concurrently!

Yeah I've read up on everything I need to do. As soon as I finalize a plan its going in :)

You could consider removing the wall/door into the airless and windowless room, and create an L shaped kitchen diner with the dining room at the patio door end.

You would get some light into the L if the side door was fully glazed and/or widened. THe study/bedroom would then open off the dining room - rather better than directly off the kitchen area.

Just to note we have a similar layout, albeit with better light, with Kitchen approx 3 x 3m and dining area approx 2.7 x 4.2m - it works wel.

Good luck!!

Come up with this with some help from the houzz site. Moved the wall making the room bigger , kitchen could have tall larders on left as you walk in. Sofas or dining table to right. Could even have an island. Changed one French door set to a window to fit more units.

The middle room could even have glass bricks or similar to get more natural light in to it.

8b8b87da1998b6e7b8dab95ba5e9cbf4.jpg

Buy my house from the landlords, then extend it out the side so I can have a big workshop !

Back