Looking for decent screwdriver set advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie Copeland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I recently bought a cheap set of screwdrivers for my workshop. I'm an amateur woodturner so I don't use them all that often, however this particular set (bought from The Range) is truly dreadful! I've used on of the screwdrivers on eight screws so far and the head of it has been chewed up already. Soft as s***e springs to mind!

So now I'm looking for your advice. I'm looking for a decent set of screwdrivers (three or four phillips and the same amount flat-head, just for example) that won't get chewed up on a handful of screws!

I was considering this set on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-STA5654 ... B000WCI2TC

Cheers

Jamie

Being a sparky in a past profession I've tried most brands out there at one point or another. My advise is to buy from Wera, had this set for about 5 years and haven't missed a beat:
Amazon - Wera 347120 Kraftform Plus VDE Screwdriver Pouch Set (7 Pieces)

I can't see you needing them to be VDE rated for what you do (and to be honest the plastic coating does get in the way if the screw is hidden down a whole I'd buy these:
Amazon - Wera Kraftform 300 Screwdriver Set 6 Piece

(sorry for the lack of direct links, I don't have to permission yet)

I think if you ever need more sizes then you can always buy them individually (my minor OCD demands they all match), but in reality these sizes deal with 90% of screw sizes you're likely to find

Hope that helps

J

I'm probably too late now, but I do like Wera screwdrivers and bought these last year;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Kraftform- ... 0+big+pack

All the screwdrivers you're likely to need and the "knock through" facility (hit em with an 'ammer (hammer) ) has helped me get a good few seized screws out which would have stripped heads. You get both Pozi and Phillips so less chance of mangling heads too! The rack is also a nice touch, mine's screwed in the back of the van.

RossJarvis":3vythnsm said:
I'm probably too late now, but I do like Wera screwdrivers and bought these last year;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Kraftform- ... 0+big+pack

All the screwdrivers you're likely to need and the "knock through" facility (hit em with an 'ammer (hammer) ) has helped me get a good few seized screws out which would have stripped heads. You get both Pozi and Phillips so less chance of mangling heads too! The rack is also a nice touch, mine's screwed in the back of the van.

That set looks amazing! I think if I was a tradesman then that would be right up my street, but as an amateur woodturner the Wera six piece set looks like it's just the job for me. I also only wanted to spend £30 max so the six poieve set is in that range.

If I ever win the lottery and get them in in the house without SWMBO noticing I'll definitely buy that set!

Thanks for your comment, though! Much appreciated.

Good luck Jamie, I'm sure you'll be pleased with any set of Weras. Just remember they generally aren't plated or stainless (it's actually brittle and not good for screwdrivers) so if they're left in a damp and cold shed they may show some rust, I've never found this to be a problem and it's not a sign of poor quality. An oily rag helps.

My i suggest the mighty PB swiss, for me the best screwdrivers that i have used. Simple swiss quality engineering.

Found the Wera six piece set in Homebase for 62p cheaper than Amazon (I'm a tight Scotsman) and I could collect immediately.

Happy as a pig in you know what.

Extra bonus; managed to get them in the house without SWMBO noticing!!

Cheers for the advice. As ever, it's very much appreciated.

Back