Longer open time than Everbuild 502

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I've been buying Everbuild 502, because it's cheap, like me, but I was glueing up some "Shaker style"(yes, I know... but it's sort of shorthand now) MDF doors for some cupboards in my shed, and I could do with a bit more open time. Any recommendations?

I usually use Titebond 3, but supply in this country seems to have dried up. What are the alternative's with a long open time?

titebond 3 has a great open time.

Not quite. The spec gives it an open time of 10 mins at 21 c. Its a still a bit longer than standard PVA's which start to go off in a few minutes . I tried Titebond Extend once for some edge glueing but it still hadn't gone off after two hours ! For a long glue up session I now use a Polyurethane one hour glue.

I usually use Titebond 3, but supply in this country seems to have dried up. What are the alternative's with a long open time?

That is interesting/concerning - any idea what is causing that? (I see that there is some available, but patchy)

Titebond III is my go-to glue (good open time/easy clean-up); although PU for many things as well, particularly Accoya - I have used EverBuild 45 minute PU successfully - ideally, I would like a good supply of good old Cascamite, but I bought a big bag of one of the replacements and it was troublesome (lumpy and not like the original).

Cheers

Use UF glue. It will give you more than enough time to clamp, have a cuppa then binge watch Peaky Blinders. You will have a strong and waterproof glue-up and may be able to imitate the brummie accent just like the excellent Irish actor Cillian Murphy. He must have tried UF glue too to get it that good.

I used to use Cascamite, but stopped a couple of years ago as it wouldn't mix properly and I just couldn't trust it.
Have used Aerolite one shot since, which has been trouble free but I like to use PVA out the bottle for those smaller jobs.

I've been buying Everbuild 502, because it's cheap, like me, but I was glueing up some "Shaker style"(yes, I know... but it's sort of shorthand now) MDF doors for some cupboards in my shed, and I could do with a bit more open time. Any recommendations?
2 year old cascamite. About 1 hour open time. If you buy a pot of cascamite once a year you can use whichever batch is most appropriate for your use. Cascamite is great for gap filling in certain situations. Not suggesting shoddy work with gaps but there are some genuine situations where a bit of gap filling and chemical hardened glue can be very useful, as well as the extended open time when the glue is a bit past its use by date. Used some recently for turned posts for a 4 poster bed where the turner had made the spigots a little bit sloppy for the bore holes in the lower turned sections. As we wanted to assemble the whole bed at the time the 2 parts of the turned posts were glued together to make sure everything was straight and fitting well, the assurance there was no time pressure, having tested the gluing time of the old cascamite before the glue-up, was just what was required.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a glue with a longer open time than this thread? Those cupboard doors were glued, painted and hung several months ago now...

Tomato sauce? Im pretty sure that'll have plenty of open time befire it sets 🙃 just dont try cider, once opened it tends to disappear quite quickly 😉

Back