Long time no turn!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imperial

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, have posted on the other parts of the site but 1st time here. I last used a lathe 30 yrs ago and thought I could just start where I left off! Obviously that was the 1st mistake, I had designed a 3ft long leg with taper from more or less top to bottom starting about 40mm to about 15mm at the bottom. It was really difficult so gave up and make a jig for a guide to follow and it came out really nice. I'd like to know how you guys make a consistent long taper and make identical copy's , is it just experience or technique.

Hope this is not too basic a question

Hi Bloo.

I have a long tool rest, several in fact.

My method is to set up the tool rest, part into each end to the required diameter. Set the tool rest equal distances from each end and away you go. You use the tool rest as a guide for the taper.

If repeating and you have prepared your blanks you don't have to move the rest until they are all done.

Hello Bloonose.
Bloonose wrote
Hope this is not too basic a question
I think copy turning by hand is very difficult as i found out when i turned 2 table lamps recently :roll:
Doing a straight taper i would set 3 calipersto size.One to the largest dia,one to the smallest dia,and one for the middle dia.
Turn both ends first to thier required diameters and just do a gradual taper from the biggest end down to the smallest checking all the time the middle,making sure not to touch either end again,and use a straight edge on the near finished item.
Hope this is clear :?
Paul.J.

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately I don't have a lathe myself and can only use the ones provided on my course. I tried to do more or less what you said but the tool rest was very short and did not go close enough to the work which meant a lot of vibration when getting to the smallest end!
Perhaps I'll have another go with something smaller.

Latest posts

Back