Long Router Bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esox Lucius

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy router bits that would have a cutting depth to about 1 3/4 inch in depth or slightly more?

I am trying to make a hole with a 10 inch diameter in some 3 inch thick oak.

Or has anyone got some other advise that would make it easier going.

So far i have used my standard router and bits which cut to about an inch in depth.

Knocked a nail in the centre and tied the router at the correct place and spun it round through the circumference.

My router uses 1/4 inch bits.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

If you don't want the excuse to buy a meatier router, would it be possible to drill a fine hole through the centre and work from both sides?

AndyT":2ru3uuva said:
If you don't want the excuse to buy a meatier router, would it be possible to drill a fine hole through the centre and work from both sides?

I think thats why he's asking for 1 3/4 as it will go justy over half way, if he were asking for a 3" bit then that would be a different matter.

J

Yes i have worked from both sides and was left with roughly an inch to get through to complete the full cut. I ended up using a jigsaw to cut the hole totally out.

All i got to do now is tidy the inside of the hole up to make it look something...any ideas on that would be nice?

I do not own a drum sander which i guess would be the way to go.

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

sorry for bumping up an old thread. I would like to flush trim (or rather, edge plane) 2" material. I am wondering if this could be done moderately safely and efficiently with a 1400w 1/4" router. I found "1 pc 1/4" SH 2" Blade Extra Long Flush Trim Router Bit" or "1 pc 1/4" SH 2" Blade Extra Long Straight Router Bit" on ebay (USA seller) that seem, at least in principle, suitable for the job? I would like to avoid the need to buy a 1/2" router. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Albert

I think Wealden (http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Router_Cutters_1.html) have long flush trim bits - have a browse over there (I may be wrong, but they DO have long straight two-flute cutters - I have one). I suspect they're 1/2" though.

Generally there's a far smaller choice in 1/4" shank though, and you probably won't get a nice result with a 1/4" diameter cutter, because of the cutter tip speed, if you're actually trying to plane straight surfaces.

Flush trimming involves a template or straightedge and a bearing-guided cutter that runs on said template (to which it trims flush!). Using a router as a surface planer usually means in a router table with two fences very slightly offset from each other (the outfeed aligns with the cutter arc, the infeed is a gnat's further away; they're parallel but not coplanar).

If your router will take an 8mm collet, you might find something, and you'll probably get better results.

All that said, most people round here would probably recommend hand tools if you're trying to achieve a straight flat piece of 2"-wide stock. Given the price of #5 planes on eBay and at car boot sales, it's cost-effective as well as more environmentally friendly!

E.

Esox Lucius":3h3oi295 said:
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy router bits that would have a cutting depth to about 1 3/4 inch in depth or slightly more?

I am trying to make a hole with a 10 inch diameter in some 3 inch thick oak.

Or has anyone got some other advise that would make it easier going.

So far i have used my standard router and bits which cut to about an inch in depth.

Knocked a nail in the centre and tied the router at the correct place and spun it round through the circumference.

My router uses 1/4 inch bits.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Bob Wearing tip that I know works:

Engineering bits, slot drills, end mills; much cheaper than branded 'special' bits. I've used both quarter and half-inch shanked end mills and nae probs - PROVIDED YOU GO AT IT GENTLY, METHODICALLY. HSS bits don't like shocks..... :( . Beauty is too, you can re-sharpen 'em!

Sam

I came across a company a few days ago selling worktop jigs and extra long cutters for 1/4" routers to use in the jig. I probably have the site bookmarked at home.

SammyQ":1sh6a365 said:
Bob Wearing tip that I know works:

Engineering bits, slot drills, end mills; much cheaper than branded 'special' bits. I've used both quarter and half-inch shanked end mills and nae probs - PROVIDED YOU GO AT IT GENTLY, METHODICALLY. HSS bits don't like shocks..... :( . Beauty is too, you can re-sharpen 'em!

Sam

+1. can even get solid carbide ones pretty easily. RGD tools, either direct or through ebay is my preferred supplier.

Back