Live edge console table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks great. Well done.

From a design point of view, I agree with the comment above that a lighter undercarriage would improve the look but that sort of thing is very much a question of personal taste.

Id love to get some feedback. If anybody has comments on how I can improve, or if I’ve used the wrong terms, anything. I really love learning from other people’s experience, it’s so much quicker, easier and cheaper than learning from my own 😂.
1. Love the blue stripe! I find it really effective (a great talking point - "Blue oak from S America" etc)
2. I think you hit it with the 'chunky' legs - much better slimmer.
3. I like the overall table.

If that's a first attempt, I'd rate it a success! Agree with the lessons on how tight for M&T, when glue is added.

SWMBO: But I can hardly get a coffee cup on that ;-)

1. Love the blue stripe! I find it really effective (a great talking point - "Blue oak from S America" etc)
2. I think you hit it with the 'chunky' legs - much better slimmer.
3. I like the overall table.

If that's a first attempt, I'd rate it a success! Agree with the lessons on how tight for M&T, when glue is added.

Thanks, nice to hear some positive comments about the blue stripe, I'm not keen but it's nice to hear that it's not objectively bad 😁

SWMBO: But I can hardly get a coffee cup on that ;-)

It's for my side of the sofa, so it only needs to be big enough for beer 🍺

Really nice job for a first piece of furniture, - well done!

Taste is so subjective that like or dislike is almost meaningless. Bit chunky for me but if if it works for you who cares? :)

You appear to have learnt loads in the process so it's a resounding success and on to the next!

And well done for posting it as you go as well.

While I see the point of elegant legs, I like the chonk in this case. Well done for posting it all up as well. Enjoyed the process and the read. Fair play.

Really nice first use of resin, brushing resin on the live edges and leaving to dry before the main pour should prevent any air bubbles escaping into the main pour. You can also get rid of a lot of these with a small blow torch, but will not get rid of all without the pre-sealing method.

I use quite a bit of resin now, you may get hooked.

Thanks for the write up, appreciated.

Really nice first use of resin, brushing resin on the live edges and leaving to dry before the main pour should prevent any air bubbles escaping into the main pour. You can also get rid of a lot of these with a small blow torch, but will not get rid of all without the pre-sealing method.

Thanks for the tip, I should have thought of that. I mean, to be fair, 30 minutes research before the pour would have been a good idea, but ho hum.

Just personal choice but I would have had the legs less chunky.

Otherwise excellent work well done.

Good work!

Nice use of the router as a Yorkshire man's domino machine! Must try it sometime!

Cheers James

i just came across this post by Stumpy Nubs that details a much better (and simpler) jig thank I used. It may be useful for anybody trying this, I’ll certainly be adapting my technique next time!

Great effort Snettymakes. The first time you try anything new is nerve - wracking. I think resin is a brilliant medium to work with. You might want to have a look at either www.easycomposites.co.uk or www.glasscastresin.com. There are some good videos there on techniques to pouring resin. I use their products and I think they are good and you get very good results in my limited experience. I have the theory (as yet unproven) that the bottom of your pour is the better side to use as the 'finished' face as there should be less bubbles on that side. It's definitely a good idea (as Oxon Turner says) to run a blow torch over the surface every 10-15 minutes until the bubbles stop rising. Next time try some metallic pigments - you get some fantastic unpredictable patterns.......if you want to see some mad resin pours check out 'positive couple' on youtube..... some of it is a bit tacky for my tastes, but you have to admire the guy's ingenuity. He uses some sort of spray that eliminates the bubbles really well, but not sure if you can get it in this country...

Cheers
Dean

Last edited:
Back