Litter Louts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mignal, I AM working class but these days we are deemed to be the middle class by the present government, that means that every one below the class of a politician is deemed to be a taxpaying "middleclass system person/worker,"as apparently the labour government has "done away " with the class system, call me cynical if you will, I don't mind, but at least allow me the privilege of being practical, there are doers and sayers in life, I am a doer, politicians are sayers, who produces the goods at the end of the day, who gets more money (I won't use the term "EARN")? doers or sayers? the answer is obvious, but at least by getting off my a$$e and being a doer, gives me the right to point my finger at sayers, who at the moment are bringing this country to it's knees, despite the global credit crunch, I suppose this thread has gone a bit astray, but one thing leads to another, my apologies for that.

Rich.

Rich":t07fc4zi said:
I disagree in your generalisation there, imho we are a nation who unfortunately are home to a minority of "dirty, selfish" people.

I'm sure you do. It's always easier to blame someone else.

Regrettably it is not possible to live without creating some waste/rubbish, but it is possible to dispose of it in the best manner.
I see litter as waste that has been dumped rather than disposed of responsibly.
And thereby the difference between guilty and not guilty.
Without a doubt much waste that we produce in living can be avoided, starting with unnecessary packing IMO.

Roy.

I blame Thatcher (the milk snatcher). We are just beginning to experience the changes she made. She tried to create, by her own admission, a 'classless' society. She ended up creating a society obsessed with greed and the self.

/random political rant off

punkrockdad":hwq4k33q said:
I blame Thatcher (the milk snatcher). We are just beginning to experience the changes she made. She tried to create, by her own admission, a 'classless' society. She ended up creating a society obsessed with greed and the self.

/random political rant off

Ahh the first person ever to make me redundant! (I was the milk monitor at school)

I was following a sainsburys home delivery van and ever 2 mins or so the passenger was throwing sweet wrappers out the window , 1st a Magnum , then crisps , then chocolate bar , then empty fag packet :roll:

Just think

How many of you smoke, and drop their buds out of the car window, or drop the buds on the floor

How many of you do sport, and spit everywhere

How many of you water in the bushes

How many of you have dogs and don't pick up their dung

How many of you......

You know, it's still disgusting

Just think...

I've just been to the Post Office and the billboard for the Nottingham Evening Post is that the City Council raised 81K in cigarette-end litter fines last year. Now I'm no fan of the City Council, I think they have some serious problems with their priorities and their staff, but for this I applaud them.

S

You'd think after the first few grand people would have got the message wouldn't you?

Roy.

Whilst the prospect of a heavy fine might stop someone dropping litter, it doesn't turn them into a different person. The antisocial attitude that would have led to drop litter in the first place remains and will likely be manifested in another way.

Worse than that, as my wife witnessed in Singapore, is that those who wouldn't drop litter in the first place start to think of it as a criminal activity rather than an antisocial one. Hence you get the situation (as my wife saw) where a child is admonished for dropping a sweet wrapper because they could get a fine, not because it is wrong.

Personally I'd rather live amongst a population that doesn't litter because it cares, rather than because it is scared so to do. I have no answers as to how that may be brought about :(

Dave

That Dave, IMO, is the problem with all the punitive acts that are currently being used to enforce recycling etc.
Recycling isn't going to "Save the planet" but there are plenty of very good reasons for recycling and what is really needed is a change in the way we look at our world.
Littering, apart from being untidy, just shows how far we still have to go in that direction.
Cars nowadays have ash trays, yet people will still throw the butts out of the window. The butt will probably decay, but it shows the attitude of the driver to the whole scenario.

Roy.

Back