Lithium Ion Chainsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a lot of fencing work coming up, and so was looking to use a battery chainsaw to cut/shape-to-fit the rails.
Does anyone have recommendations for potential buys and also what to avoid?

I currently use 18v DeWalt for all my other tools, but have a suspicion that that will be running out of grunt too quickly.

For information, the rails are 2x6, and will need to be tailored to fit between 6" diameter rough-sawn posts on uneven ground.

Cheers,

Chris

Cheers - With the Wandel vid, I cringed at the point when he is cutting through the pile of twigs with only deck shoes on.

Looks like the DeWalt is not going to be on the list #-o

I think the next one I'm going to look at is the Stihl - I was browsing them last week at the New Forest Show.

My petrol saw is tool big really for the task (Stihl MS250 with 18" bar) and the reason I was thinking 'leccy is to avoid the pull/pull/pull/swear/pull every time I want to make one cut.

Cheers Beau - I think it is going to be a look-see at the Stihl and the Husky.

I'll report back after some open wallet surgery at the weekend.

thick_mike":1xv5inph said:
I couldn’t work out which language the first video was in :D

Canucistanie. :D

AvE is the reason I can't tighten a bolt without say "click" every time.

Anyways, if your Stihl isn't starting first time every time after warming up then get it serviced. Also get a shorter bar and chain for it. Be a damn sight cheaper than the default and last a damn sight longer too. My cheap and cheerful Ryobi starts first time every time (so much so that I can drop start it), a good service and a new plug every now and then. :)

EDIT: sorry, I've done that thing that really annoys me and not given you a solution to your actual question.

I'v heard good things about the Husky, the Stihl, not so much. as with anything though, you have to take account of brand loyalty with chainsaws, perhaps more so with chainsaws.

Not promoting this but just a note that TTI have announced a lithium chainsaw under their Milwaukee brand. It comes out this year sometime along with a cordless tablesaw and a new 12 Ah / 18V battery using the new 21700 (?) size cells.
Possibly of interest if you use Milwaukee gear because you'd have other uses for the battery.
My limited experience of Milwaukee is fairly tough and powerful tools, aimed at the job site more than the workshop, quicker to market than most with the new tools.

I have used chainsaws for more than 50 years in work and the business I owned I think one of the first I used was a pneumatic one and after that a Danarm which I still have, even this week I was chain sawing logs but with a stihl. About 2 years ago I bought a Makita cordless and it is a great machine does way above what I expected but I would not dream of using it continues in a commercial environment, they are good but like all cordless tools not good enough (yet)but that is just my opinion

I have the bigger Makita 36V chainsaw. It takes two 18v batteries, and I'm a fan. It can cut through a trailer of 6-8-inch logs easily on a charge.

It's good for convenience and it's very quiet. I would think that for fencing it would work very well though I'd want two pairs of batteries and a vehicle charger for backup.

If you already have 18v drill batteries then look at the matching chainsaw e.g. Makita, de Walt.

Latest posts

Back