List of notable woodworkers who use only hand tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think any of the people mentioned are "hand tools only" woodworkers, and if there are one or two who are, so what? They are in fact people who have videos or books showing or teaching hand tool techniques and hand tool use. Or offer courses, online or in person. Which is all perfectly fine.

Given that anyone can post videos on Youtube and create their own website, being "notable" seems to be literally anyone with an online presence.

Given that anyone can post videos on Youtube and create their own website, being "notable" seems to be literally anyone with an online presence.

Spot on, to me "notable" is someone who demonstrates skills, and happens to have a youtube account.
Excellent results is what matters to me, not some kind of title, I think notable is a good way to put it.
It is getting harder and harder to sift through it all, and keep on top of things, I'm guessing/hoping that one or two unknowns with some skills might have popped up since the pandemic.
A good time to have another round of this topic.:cool:

He is Rob Cosman of the 18th century, right? I might read his books to learn more about the period techniques, but personally, I would not like to replicate his furniture for my own house, as my main woodworking goal is to replace every MDF board piece of furniture in my house with mine hand made solid wood furniture.

He was a pioneer of knock-down, mail order catalogue, fashionable furniture... and died not particularly wealthy.

I love my MDF furniture, if Chippendale had it available I’m sure he’d have used it.

As for Rob Cosman... I’m not sure there’s much similarity, other than them both being the same species.

Aidan

dimensioning timber by hand is hardwork esp with kiln dried hardwood.
I guess not many folk over 40 could do it for a full week. definitely no-one over 60. hook up with someone who has a planer thicknesser. or retire at 40.

Grinling gibbons too.
Plus of course Jesus of Nazareth
[/
you’re forgetting his mate Noah built a blooming great are that lad did all with hand tools :oops:
I would personally love to know If there is any piece of furniture made by Jesus that is still existing somewhere? I know that this would be impossible to proove.

The OP has pointed out this is for his own pleasure and the workflow is in no way time critical. he is required due to location and circumstance to be a quiet woodworker. Though if he is doing it all by hand, I am sure there will be a a lot of shouty sweary noises coming from his shed.
Of the people on youtube who are very skilled in hand work they have basically been mentioned. The list so far is mostly of hybrid workers who have some handtool skill.
for me the starting point would be the following people:
1: Roy Underhill
2: Tom Fidgen
3: Frank Klauz
4: Mr Chikadee
5: Wood by Wright
6: Richard McGuire
7: Peter Sellars
8 The renaisance woodworker

At the OP - remember though, that those who are really good at teaching do so for money on their own sites not through youtube. That is just tasters to gt you to go to their sites.

oh and watch everything that has footage from colonial williamsburg in it

dimensioning timber by hand is hardwork esp with kiln dried hardwood.
I guess not many folk over 40 could do it for a full week. definitely no-one over 60. hook up with someone who has a planer thicknesser. or retire at 40.
I have a thicknesser myself, but it is not strong enough for reclaimed oak for boards with 20 cm width, as I have just found out.

Well, considering all the trouble he got into while making all those grave markers ...

As far as I can recall, the only cabinetmaker to earn a living using only hand tools is Tony Konovaloff; | "The things I make might be for others, how I make them is for me" (tonykonovaloff.com) .

I'm fairly sure there are a few 'green' woodworkers (Robin Wood, Jojo Wood, Sean Hellman for example) working either predominantly or exclusively by hand.
Check la cabra en la escalera (Israël Martin). He does everything by hand (except turning knobs, where he uses a lathe)

Hi I hope I'm not thread drifting too far but can someone tell me the best first book to buy and read by James krenov? Is it the impractical cabinetmaker or something else.

I like both design and practice, something to inspire but not so ethreal that it's beyond grasp!

Cheers James

Check la cabra en la escalera (Israël Martin). He does everything by hand (except turning knobs, where he uses a lathe)
I have actually found him yesterday on Instagram and he is the reason why I have started this thread. Because there may be more of them ....

I know one man in the Uk who does most of his work by hand. Paul King of Kings studio. Does furniture restoration etc
He does own a few machine tools but most of his work is done by hand with antique tools to a huge degree of skill. He isnt on you tube but really should be.

Back