Woodwork Bench Build (Using Only Hand Tools) - Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell that's a solid bench!
Stopped housings btw. Dado is the American word.
It’ll only take three or four minutes to cut down the well boards– just think of it as being character building and arm muscle building as well lol.
“Character Building”? Ohhhh yes, it’s definitely that alright Cabinetman

Your thread reminds me of one elsewhere - where there's a bunch of supposing about the "limitations of working by hand because how would a hand worker make a t-track".

Why would they want one in the first place?

You'll have an entire other line of thought on how to solve problems and the confidence to use it. It grows on its own. Like mold, but good.

Well, I’ve now flattened the top, got the back section level with it and DISASTER struck! There was a big knot in the back section and it chipped out quite bad. I decided to fill it with a shaped piece of wood and also filled it with some homemade filler from pva glue and sawdust. I will endeavour to see how the repair goes tomorrow after it’s set overnight.

oh… I’ve also fitted the vice and now have to put some jaws in which I have some Oak for.

by the way, if anyone wants to learn how to have patience, try HAND sanding a beast like this. I had to give myself a talking to most of the day to keep going!!!

1D062F0A-763C-43DC-91BB-465B6B59339B.jpeg

53DC9142-3574-4737-BA25-BC47C67BCA3A.jpeg

B0307837-67D5-4763-B55C-70011D90036B.jpeg

7ED19AC3-B4C1-4048-BAEC-90109F11ED70.jpeg

It’s looking very good, you may have decided from your own good reasons to fit your vice the way you have, but it is more normal and I wouldn’t like it any other way personally, to use the front face of the bench as the back jaw of the vice this means that a long piece of wood in the vice can be held against the rest of the bench front to support it.
The way to achieve this is to sink the rear jaw into a large mortis underneath the bench top, never to be seen again, the other thing I would say is that the vice is set too high and you will catch the edges of your tools on it – normally set down about half an inch. Ian
F43CE000-E8E6-4DB7-938E-09D71D7C8112.jpeg
707A4CA0-E250-4782-B4A5-F9499DDCE554.jpeg

Last edited:
There is quite some debate about this from what I have seen, I think some people like to have the metal rear jaw as a sort of spacer to make putting workpieces in easier. Access for your fingers.
But then you need to use a support block to support long workpieces...
😃

It’s looking very good, you may have decided from your own good reasons to fit your vice the way you have, but it is more normal and I wouldn’t like it any other way personally, to use the front face of the bench as the back jaw of the vice this means that a long piece of wood in the vice can be held against the rest of the bench front to support it.
The way to achieve this is to sink the rear jaw into a large mortis underneath the bench top, never to be seen again, the other thing I would say is that the vice is set too high and you will catch the edges of your tools on it – normally set down about half an inch. IanView attachment 125322View attachment 125323

Many thanks for the tips and feedback Cabinetman. I did actually consider doing it as you suggested but chose the way I did for some space for my fingers and I’m going to use a bench dog or something for long pieces.

Rob

There is quite some debate about this from what I have seen, I think some people like to have the metal rear jaw as a sort of spacer to make putting workpieces in easier. Access for your fingers.
But then you need to use a support block to support long workpieces...
😃
Yes that’s what I chose. Molynoox.

Rob

Here’s the repaired notch. It’s solid but personally think it looks awful. might look different after a coat of BLO.

Rob

59D64A4B-CC94-4305-8F91-8F674F21770C.jpeg

PS. I’m going to be making a dog for the vice out of oak as I don’t have the metal original one. Think it will be better anyway. I’m also going to make the thumb screw. I have one that’s off something else, M12 I think but it’s too long, no washer and also needs threading full length.

Rob

I wouldn't worry too much about the knot, it's a workbench....about the jaw vice, I prefer them being away from the long edge and have never found it a problem planing long boards, best of luck with the new bench and enjoy it!

Well Ive now got a question. Ive done two coats of BLO now. Last coat went on at 5:30 and its all buffed off. I was going to give it a coat of wax in the morning about 10 ish. Do you think thats ok to do and it’s enough time after the BLO?

660DCE7F-859C-4277-9CF0-8C2592ACC97D.jpeg

87503D3F-4159-4DC7-A9FE-7453370B8030.jpeg

Well Ive now got a question. Ive done two coats of BLO now. Last coat went on at 5:30 and its all buffed off. I was going to give it a coat of wax in the morning about 10 ish. Do you think thats ok to do and it’s enough time after the BLO?

View attachment 125362

View attachment 125363
I wouldn’t use the wax. You don’t want the surface too slippery.

Latest posts

Back