Linseed Oil on Acrylic Primer or Undercoat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had new timber windows installed that have been primed/undercoated with acrylic paint. She is now insistent that she wants to topcoat them with linseed oil paint.

Is this a good idea?

TIA

A friend of mine has had new timber windows installed that have been primed/undercoated with acrylic paint. She is now insistent that she wants to topcoat them with linseed oil paint.

Is this a good idea?

TIA
I've tried it over old paint of various sorts with no problems, if anything it fixes old stuff and stops it carrying on peeling.
It sticks on bare metal, rusty metal...etc.
Acrylic might be different but it seems to stick to almost everything so I'd guess yes.

I prime my art canvases with acrylic primer and use oil paints - with no problem for many years.

I prime my art canvases with acrylic primer and use oil paints - with no problem for many years.
Yes, I’ve read this and you’re right, so thanks for that. But I was thinking more about how it would fare exposed to months/years of inclement weather.

Yes, I’ve read this and you’re right, so thanks for that. But I was thinking more about how it would fare exposed to months/years of inclement weather.
Linseed paint weathers quite differently from modern paints. It gets very slowly washed off from the surface without ever peeling or flaking, but may look a bit "chalky". East to repaint, just a light wash down and slap it on as soon as dry. Never needs burning off or sanding back. Can be touched up with oil alone.
Modern paints the opposite - water gets behind it, it peels and wood rots under the bright and shiny surface. Preparation for re-painting becomes a major task
I've been using it for 10 years and wouldn't go back to modern paints, except for interiors if I wanted brighter colours and high gloss

Linseed paint weathers quite differently from modern paints. It gets very slowly washed off from the surface without ever peeling or flaking, but may look a bit "chalky". East to repaint, just a light wash down and slap it on as soon as dry. Never needs burning off or sanding back. Can be touched up with oil alone.
Modern paints the opposite - water gets behind it, it peels and wood rots under the bright and shiny surface. Preparation for re-painting becomes a major task
I've been using it for 10 years and wouldn't go back to modern paints, except for interiors if I wanted brighter colours and high gloss
Very useful, thank you Jacob

new timber windows installed that have been primed/undercoated
That's unusual, most "manufacturers" offer their warranty/s based on applying a full factory finish, and more so if using a timber such as Accoya (do you know the type of timber used?)

Interested to know the thinking behind the choice of using linseed oil paint, and my question is, can it be applied this late in the year?

.... can it be applied this late in the year?
yes no prob, though there are still flies and midges about which might get stuck all over it as it takes a bit longer to dry when the temperature falls.
But then you give it another coat in the spring - it's very easy to apply, more like brushing on creosote than painting. You have to brush it out thin, no skill required, except for the cutting in.

Back