Like new

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What does the term 'Like new' mean to you

• Unused

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Had a small amount of use

• Has a few nicks and dents

• Refurbished

• None of the above - please see my post for my thoughts

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
A current eBay potential problem makes me wonder what other people think.

If you saw the term 'Like new' what condition would you expect the item to be in?

If when it arrives you can see any signs of wear then it is " As new". If the seller advertised it "as new" then that is clear that its not new.

I've always thought it to be "used a couple of times only" and therefore "like new" but no longer sealed/unopened.

Andrew

The devil is in the fine print as they say.

The ebay listing Condition did state 'New' and had I picked up the words 'Like New' then I would have contacted the seller for clarification and then taken a view.

But your posts do suggest that it should have been listed as Condition - 'Used'

I think that there is a massive amount of dishonesty over condition on ebay. I have complained a couple of times to sellers where they are being blatantly dishonest, and nothing changes. Is there a mechanism for reporting dishonest descriptions to ebay, or is it just a case of caveat emptor?

Used is used
New is new
Re-con is Re-con
Simple really but i think the ball is in your court to not accept the item if it is not as you believed it to be.
The thing is that do you think its a fair price for a 2nd hand or re con item and are you willing to accept it on that basis.
You dont get owt for nowt.

I agree with tiler99 on this one. But to be honest it doesn't really matter what the forum members think as long as the buyer is happy with the descriprion and product.

Like new is exactly as is literally said;
- the same as a new one
- or the same as it was when it was new

Sa for instance when its a plane it is like new when;
- one buys a plane, take it out of the box, carefully try it, does not like it, places in back in the box and puts it on ebay
- one buys a plane, uses it often and cares for it very well, replaces it after years and years of use for a different plane and put the old one on ebay.
- one acquires a plane, replaces all worn bits, redo any missing japaning, etc and puts it on ebay

For the first very obvious. The plane is actually still new, like when you go to the shop to see if you like the feel of a LN over a LV and you decide to go for the LN. The next person who buys the LV from the store gets a plane that's also like new.

The second is a bit harder. Is like new as like a new one from the stores which actually is a newer type after all those years because the casting dies has been replaced. Sure enough there is no difference to be seen as to like it was when first taken out from the box.

The third is very debatable. The materials used to replace bad parts are those of the same quality and is the machining of crafting on them of the same quality?

Smudger":2k3yc0cc said:
Is there a mechanism for reporting dishonest descriptions to ebay, or is it just a case of caveat emptor?

I know there is such a mechanism, because I've used it to report someone listing a very expensive camera lens - BUT - I found strong evidence to support all my suspicions, which was that the scammer was using a photo of the item that was identical to one being used on the US Ebay, (and very obviously not a catalogue type shot). That was a clear infringement of Ebay rules, as is pinching somebody else's description. Ebay cancelled the listing.

Trouble is I've also seen listings which absolutely stink of being a scam, (again, expensive lens, seller is new with zero feedback. Seller mysteriously disappears shortly after the auction ends.) My check is to email the seller with a question, and also ask if I can collect. Guess what? No reply. Unfortunately AFAIK there's nothing you can do about it as it doesn't infringe Ebay's rules, and now that the bidders' ID's are hidden you can't even mail them a warning (which probably would be against Ebay rules!)

There are plenty of scumbags on Ebay happy to take a couple of grand for something that doesn't exist, so I guess that it is generally a case of caveat emptor, which doesn't help the new and naive buyer.

Ooops :oops: - Just realised that my previous post was getting a bit off the original topic; sorry.

I think that ebay's one word new/used description of condition is not at all helpful in most cases. As an example if you buy a "graded" appliance it may well be brand new, as in never previously sold, but with a dent in it. If it was described as New, it could be taken as misleading; if it was described as Used, it would be inaccurate....... :? So the only thing to go on is the seller's own description, and that's open to interpretation.

I'd expect "Like New" to mean no obvious signs of use, but I'd also expect clarification from the seller, and if I had to ask for it, rather than it being in the listing, the stage one warning light would go off........

Well I'm delighted to report that, as far as I can see the Paslode is brand spanking new and so I'm a very happy bunny. Especially as it cost £100 less than the lowest Uk price.

Back