Like Adam, tempted by an Apple...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to try a Mac and have got as far as seriously considering the Mac Mini (My first decent computer was an Apple II back in 1981) . What holds me back more than anything is the apparent lack of software and although there is software of every description, there is just less of it than Windows software and whilst much of the latter may be dross, there is also some excellent stuff and I have been intrigued to see some folk coming the other way, even in the imaging area.

Chris,
If you would like a look-see you're welcome to come & have a play with mine, it is really not that scary.

Andy

Mike B":2aacnwp8 said:
After a 4-5 days of screaming abuse towards Apple (mainly caused by the lack of a right click menu), she calmed down a little and actually realised that it was easier and more enjoyable to use
Mike

Control-click or plugging in a multi-button mouse will get you right click menus...

Jim

Sorry for the late reply, Alf, but been away for a few days.

Jumping in before reading the rest of the thread is never a good thing but here is my initial response to your questions, Alf.

Alf":1okmhogw said:
The iMac mit the Intel core duo jobbie then - would one be effectively buying Version 1.0 of something, which everyone knows is a Bad Thing? Or are Apple so wonderful they don't suffer from this disease like the rest of us?
Apple QA is pretty damn good. I've not picked up any negative vibes in the press. But why would you want to go down the Intel route?

Exactly how much of a pain in the posterior is it for a long-time Windoze user to get to grips with a Mac? (Possibly one for Andy)

Easy-peasy...ask Dedee (IIRC he went from PC to Mac). There are many articles on the web of people migrating from PC to Mac (and never wanting to go back) and those who have to migrate from Mac to PC (and DO want to go back). Also, remember that Windows 95 (on which the Microsoft user interface is still heavily based) was modelled almost exclusively on the Mac user interface (which came out in 1987 !!!)

Similarly, how much of a pain is it to transfer data from a PC running XP to a Mac?
Easy..

Could an external hard drive be shared between them?
Yes - provided it is formatted like an XP drive (which Macs can read)
Presumably Macs do actually need some AV software, despite some claims, but what about spyware? Do they really cut down on the amount of "do this and do that" requirements that Windoze seems to have? Will it "just work", or is that a load of old tosh?
I've still not bothered. There was one problem with Safari but that's now been blocked and in any case...it still required the user to be an silly person and say 'yes...please install this piece of software that I know nothing about'.

Touch of the Tonys here :wink: , but are Macs really worth that extra lettuce for what is apparently a lower spec machine than an equivalently priced PC?
Define lower spec. You can spend a lifetime debating this one.

Is the standard 512 RAM okay, or would at least 1Gig make sense for photo editing?
Like PCs, the more memory the better..so go for 1Gb

Additional "AppleCare" to take it up to 3 yrs - worth having? Is Apple's customer service any good at all?
Not worth it IMHO

Techies like PCs. Users prefer Macs .

Now I'll go and read the rest of the replies :wink:

devonwoody":3ck7tlvf said:
Any info around on the new Windows system due out soon?

Vista? Don't hold your breath.

There's a reason why they stopped naming them after the expected shipping date... :lol:

Jim

JimNoble":2q3wsmqy said:
Vista? Don't hold your breath.

There's a reason why they stopped naming them after the expected shipping date... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Roger, thanks for that; was kinda wondering why you were silent, I must admit. :wink: A decision has been made, but I'm so riddled with superstition these days that I sharn't reveal all until everything's done, dusted, signed, sealed and delivered. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3qn27gtl said:
A decision has been made, but I'm so riddled with superstition these days that I sharn't reveal all until everything's done, dusted, signed, sealed and delivered. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Well, whichever way you've decided to go, Alf..I just hope that you have better luck this time :D

OK, so I'm commenting too late, but I sincerely hope that you bought a Mac. I'm an IT development manager who works with all manner of stuff - - I have XP and Linux as my development workstations, the servers we run our code on are Linux and Solaris, support servers are running Windows 2000 (even some NT), a few databases on AIX, etc, etc. When I get home it's a blessed relief to use a Mac - they really do just work, and sure, they may be expensive, but you absolutely get what you pay for.

Latest machine, as of last weekend, is a 20" iMac. It's a thing of purpose and beauty - I love it. Now I'm looking forward to getting an iBook replacement (when they're finally announced).

Don't buy a PC - life's too short. There are far more interesting ways to spend your time than faffing around with system maintenance.

mac and pc user here. (solaris and unix at work on sun stations as well)

Both horses for courses really.

macs are expensive, but generally do what they say on the tin.
I love not having to restart whenever I get a new toy to plug in :D

sadly pc users will insist on emailing you rubbish that u need a pc to see/read/use.
less so these days, but it still happens.

i`d go mac if I were u.

take the plunge, you'll enjoy it!

steve

kityuser":1pbg654o said:
I love not having to restart whenever I get a new toy to plug in :D

steve

Internal or external? Isn't this the same for PCs?

Been many (since Win98 SE) years since a PC had to be restarted when something was plugged into it externally (USB) and PCI-express (on most if not all new PCs) is hot-swap too.

Well since this thread is fortuitously here again...

I'm typing this - badly - on an iMac that finally arrived a couple of hours ago. Something tells me it's going to be a long weekend as I try to get to grips with this... 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Way to go Alf,

Just shout if you get stuck, have you found the F11 key yet? Great for getting to a cluttered desktop.

Andy

Latest posts

Back