Lighting for small workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe1975

Established Member
Reaction score
What colour temperature tights would you recommend for a workshop?
I was going to use something fairly warm like 3000k. Is it just a preference thing or are there any technical considerations?

Daylight colour temperature is 5500-6500. I would have thought there was some merit in getting closer to this if you are going to work with colour or combine different woods.

My workshop always has mood lighting, a slowly rotating disco ball, and chillout music playing.

Nah, I just threw up some LED battens from Amazon. No idea what warmness they are, but they keep the whole garage lit really well.

I use Stanley SXLS31361E 240V 10W E27 Festoon Lights. Light is at 5000K if you use the supplied bulbs (which I do). Feels like you’re getting a lot of natural light, which I like very much. Very cost efficient at about £70 for 10 bulb holders and bulbs, but obviously it’s quite an industrial looking device.

3000K is similar to the 2700K of nice interior light bulbs. That’s going to feel familiar to you and if it’s important to know how things are likely to look in an interior setting, it might be appropriate, but for me that would be too warm for task lighting. There are mood altering effects of lighting and I find 5000K is good for concentration and energy.

Latest posts

Back