Light Milling on Pillar Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrips

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Fobco Universal MT2 pillar drill and would like to perform light milling with this machine. I have a compound vice and a 16mm Charnwood lathe chuck, and I know that I'll need a new MT shank suitably hollowed for milling, but I'm not sure what other bits to look at for the cutter. Indeed I'm not even sure what this machine is capable of handling (motor details are below) beyond softer metals so any advice would be appreciated. I know there are different types of bits for different metals and I'd like to just get a bit of know how about what to look out for. 'Anyone doing a similar thing with a pillar drill.

3 phase Brook Crompton motor Powered by a versatile VFD
RPM 1425
Half HP / 370W

Does your Fobco Universal have the threaded spindle nose like in the link below? (There were two models, one with it, one without)
( http://www.lathes.co.uk/fobco/ -see the second picture write up and the text after this for the universal)

Otherwise, as rightly stated. don't do it.

Harry

Most milling puts lateral forces on the bit, and most drilling machines, even good/big ones aren't designed to withstand that.

BugBear

Yyes it does have the threaded spindle nose, like this:

img1.gif

I'm a happy camper on that note I think

OK, so you will need a range of MT2 collets that are compatible with the nut on the end of the spindle.
You need the correct nut not only for the thread obviously but also to close and re-open the collet properly (like a router collet and nut)

If the thread happens to be 1 1/8 x 12, then a nut and collets for a myford lathe should work and be reasonably available.

Standard milling cutters, irrespective cutter diameter, have shanks 6mm, 10mm, 12mm or 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"

MM

Myfordman - Cheers that's useful info, the collar nut came with the drill so that's a good pointer. Question - Am I okay using my standard Charnwood MT2 chuck fro drilling, I can't see why not but thought it best I check. Obviously my choice of shanks/cutters will be different.

Wizard - it's nice of you to say so. There's a chatter of aluminium platter in my head.

Chris

I don't know which Charnwood chuck you have.
For drilling you need a drill chuck capable of gripping any diameter up to its maximum not one with collets that only have a very narrow gripping range for each collet.
Unless a 2mt shank is retained by a draw bar, it must not be used for any application creating side thrust.

Back