Fobco drill with a long nose - can it be swapped out?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening, i have been following the current Fobco discussion with interest.
History
I have one of these machines given to me some years ago in payment for a debt. Not my choice, partly because the quill sticks so far out of the head. However It’s not in fact proved to be a problem so far but still it’s ugly!
Having reread the lathes.co write up (that the current discussion pointed me to) on these machines it’s seems I have a long nose bench top 5/8 model
BUT. The machine has a genuine 16 mm label and not a star. (Yes 5/8 = 16 mm)
It’s motor has been swapped for a single phase Brook Compton Parkinson 1425 rpm
The arbor is a MT2 - the best thing about it.
Serial No 45075
I retro fitted a NVR switch as the cable went straight to the plug on the wall🙄
Question
I am not clear from the write up if it is possible to swap the extended quill out for a later short quill with a MT2 and if so are parts still available and has any of the members tackled the change out ?

ISTR that the fobco drill usually came with a short stub JT6 to fit direct in the back of the drill chuck. I doubt that the bottom bearing in the quill would be large enough bore to allow an inset MT2 taper.
hence yours protruding as it does.

It's a rare model, if it's not causing an issue, why change it? I think it looks really different. I wonder why they produced that version with the extended spindle.

Back