light coloured, water resistant wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowSteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am making a orchidarium - it's like a fish tank - but for orchids rather than fish. The plant is kept in 100% humidity, high light and high tempuratures in a glass box. I am looking to automate it heavily with an arduino, and so plan to make a base unit for the tank to keep the water bottles, light ballasts, electronics etc in there.

Mrs SlowSteve wants the base to be made out of a "pretty" and "Light coloured" wood, but has given me little other direction from that. I already know she is not a fan of spalted maple, so that option is out.

So - essentially I need to make a box, but one that is going to be hot and damp.

Do you have any thoughts about good wood choices? Or would it be better for me to pick any wood that suits, and then go to town with the a damp proofer, varnish or perhaps a clear epoxy?

Any thoughts would be most greatfully recieved.

Steve

What do the Scandinavians use for saunas? I think they might just be redwood, which might not be 'pretty' enough, and I expect would soon darken as it got cooked by the heat and moisture. Maybe a naturally durable cedar would be suitable, but that could be a bit bland too.

As with Andy's commemts, Cedar of Lebanon would work... And smell lovely.

Birch for saunas.

I had to rip lengths some down for some one, he put it in his Q7 and pressed the boot close button and the closing boot pushed it through the sat-nav screen! £800!

Pete

SlowSteve":338kf6uj said:
Do you have any thoughts about good wood choices? Or would it be better for me to pick any wood that suits, and then go to town with the a damp proofer, varnish or perhaps a clear epoxy?

Any thoughts would be most greatfully recieved.

Steve
Cypress an Epoxy are highly resistant to water. They usually use them for wooden boats. Anyway, any wood you pick, you should apply a good varnish finish so it lasts.

willow and chestnut come to mind. Both good with water as is pitch pine, and larch used for boat building.

Back