Life with a tablet #23: updating Samsung's Push Service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
It's like the annoying Windows Update Process (why didn't they just write it properly in the first place? ) : every morning you're greeted with a string of messages about stuff your Android did overnight, or stuff that it's dead keen to do right now, that you need to give permission for.

This morning it was the Samsung "Push Service" wanting to update itself. I'm not entirely certain what Push does - something to do with signals, I think (that's the software sort, not Railtrack). Saying, "just get on with it, I want to do the crossword!" isn't enough. You have to make a virtual visit to The People's Capitalist Republic of Samsung ("third bunker on the left, sir"), where you give permission in person for arcane wonders to be done to your device. There's a lot of bowing and handing over of virtual business cards, but no virtual put-puts to avoid, nor houses being moved by bicycle. Maybe that's China, but I digress...

Being an avid student of foreign cultures, and with the obvious concern that I might not get the chance again (the whole lot might disappear beneath a virtual mushroom cloud at any moment), I took the opportunity to have a little virtual wander about whilst I was there.

The web page has a "review" section, thus named, I assume, because "Visitors' Book" doesn't translate into Korean easily. This was worth a closer look in its own right. Although it's hard to review something the use of which you cannot fathom (unless it's got pictures in the Hand Tools forum, naturally), well-meaning British tablet users have evidently tried. This is much in the same spirit as one writes, "wonderful scenery, can't wait to come back" when you were really only there because the car broke down the night before. Guest books on a hall table make you feel guilty all morning if you haven't put something in there.

The thing is, Samsung Push evidently does so much more than I realised. One user thanks Samsung for their lottery win, another for waking up married to Angelina Jolie (although staying awake might have been preferable, but I'm probably just old fashioned), and a third for suddenly being middle class, complete with large mortgage and people carrier. The results are wide ranging, it seems, but vexingly unpredictable.

I was really alarmed, though, by one of the most recent reviews, which clearly demonstrated just how powerful software has become in our modern world. It's rather scary in fact, and I should perhaps quote it in its entirety:

"Amazing product: I downloaded Push yesterday, and Margaret Thatcher died."

Gulp. I'm not sure I want to go back any time soon, however Jolie the virtual scenery is.

E.

I know exactly what you mean...EtV.

Nanny Nag doesn't come into it.

I'd dearly also love to be able to delete all the cr*p on there like all the social media stuff, chaton (what the hell is that?) but seems to be a bit like Microsoft Explorer and bolted in good and hard.

Talking of Nanny Nag...where did Waitrose get that awful woman's voice from in the self-checkout. I mentioned it to the guy on self-checkout duty and he rolled his eyes and said 'You want to be here all day". Some dusky maiden's sultry tone, maybe Jane Birkin in Je t'aime, now that would encourage me to use the thing :lol:

RogerS":wjs9b663 said:
I know exactly what you mean...EtV.

Nanny Nag doesn't come into it.

I'd dearly also love to be able to delete all the cr*p on there like all the social media stuff, chaton (what the hell is that?) but seems to be a bit like Microsoft Explorer and bolted in good and hard.

Talking of Nanny Nag...where did Waitrose get that awful woman's voice from in the self-checkout. I mentioned it to the guy on self-checkout duty and he rolled his eyes and said 'You want to be here all day". Some dusky maiden's sultry tone, maybe Jane Birkin in Je t'aime, now that would encourage me to use the thing :lol:

Spot on. :)

Seriously, I'm exploring this, as, with all the toys in place, Android is a frustration for business use. It's got the potential to be far better than iOs, but only if it can be properly managed. That's the reason initially why Blackberry grew so well - manageability.

E.

ETV, which tablet do you have? I have the Tab 2, and, yes there are updates, but never that many. I get along great with mine.

What annoys me is that when you get the notification and then click on it so you clear it from the notification bar, the damn app starts up...keep forgetting that I was going to set al;l my apps to manual update.

Got the same issues with my new Samsung S4 phone. don't want the "push" service so I've disabled all updates until I can look at it properly and find time to uninstall everything that's of no use to me.

I thought the iphone was bad!

Bob

Lons":lxpzsos9 said:
Got the same issues with my new Samsung S4 phone. don't want the "push" service so I've disabled all updates until I can look at it properly and find time to uninstall everything that's of no use to me.

Bob

Good luck with that. Samsung stuff a whole shedload of programs and services in that are of no use to man nor beast. But you can't get rid of them.

Hi Roger

I haven't tried yet as I don't want to uninstall anything I might want in future.
There are loads of answers on the web and a number of apparent solutions though some involving the root directories eg
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... one-vendor.
Have you gone down this route already?

I thought I might wait until I'm on holiday in a few weeks and might have more time to "play"

Bob

Bloody Samsung again! Kies is their software that lets you transfer files to/from the Mac (PC as well maybe). It works but it also runs a couple of constant background tasks that also write a console entry each time they run. As in every bleedin' ten seconds. Managed to find the right services to kill the little pippers and all was well.

Then nanny-nag Kies kept telling me about an upgrade to their software...which I don't want to use...especially as it will start running those pesky routines again...which might/might not have had their name changed (OK...I' fess up...I've lost the details of how to kill them!)....so I have been ignoring it. Now the ruddy program insists that I update.

I detest Samsung software.

Roger,

Coupla' thoughts:

1. I *would* upgrade. Comms software is easier meat for virus writers. They won't tell you but they've probably found a security hole and (hopefully) plugged it.

2. I have never used Kies - I don't need to. If you find "Total Commander" in the Google store, it's a really handy file manager, that supports FTP, SMB (Windows network file sharing), and WebDAV protocols (internet file sharing). I got it mainly as a tidy way to sort files on the tablet, but it will connect to 'shares' on Windows boxes too. So you can go folder-to-folder across machines, without the fuss. As I understand it, Kies is a sort of iTunes for Samsung devices. If sorting music is important to you, Total Commander may be insufficient and I can't help there, but I now run it on my 'phone too, and find it invaluable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en.

Total Commander also integrates with Dropbox and, I think, Google Drive (I don't use the latter and only very rarely the former). They're other ways to move files to and fro with your PC, but they use the internet. TC doesn't need to (only the local network).

HTH,

E.

PS: TC is free.

Back