Life expectancy of Domino cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
The first 5mm cutter that came with the machine gave up the ghost after cutting about 50 holes in a mixture of kiln dried oak and ply. Basically the cutter head sheared off where it is attached to the shaft. Aximinster, after an initial wobble, were good enough to replace it despite being a consumable.

Yesterday, the same happened to the replacement while cutting oak again. Again had only done about 50 holes.

So I start to think I am doing something wrong. But after the first one went I made sure I was doing everything right, or at least I think so. I take it nice and slow to plunge, extraction hooked up so it clears properly. Oh and I have definitely not hit any metal etc in the wood.

So, is it me, or is this really the life expectancy of a cutter. If its all I can expect from a cutter, I don't think I can afford to keep replacing them at that rate.

Mark

The Bear":xmogd4uj said:
They are Festool, I'm not aware of an alternative

I would ring Axminster again , tell them how you are using it and ask them to contact Festool for advice , after all you are using it for what it was designed for !! , I cant see 50 holes as excessive use :?

Maybe plunging to fast, those smaller cutters are delicate and it makes a horrible sound if you happen to plunge to fast?

I'd say something is wrong if you are sure you are plunging slowly and otherwise following the user manual.
I made at least 50 holes with my 5mm. cutter in all sorts of material the day i got my Domino and have probably made 150 later with it, and it's none the worse for wear. The 50 first was without extraction as well.
My 8mm. has been used on twice that, and still no sign of any wear.

The Bear":1a9xl0d1 said:
The first 5mm cutter that came with the machine gave up the ghost after cutting about 50 holes in a mixture of kiln dried oak and ply. Basically the cutter head sheared off where it is attached to the shaft. Aximinster, after an initial wobble, were good enough to replace it despite being a consumable.

Yesterday, the same happened to the replacement while cutting oak again. Again had only done about 50 holes.

So I start to think I am doing something wrong. But after the first one went I made sure I was doing everything right, or at least I think so. I take it nice and slow to plunge, extraction hooked up so it clears properly. Oh and I have definitely not hit any metal etc in the wood.

So, is it me, or is this really the life expectancy of a cutter. If its all I can expect from a cutter, I don't think I can afford to keep replacing them at that rate.

Mark

Mark,

I found machining Oak a problem with snatching so I made this.

Dom1.jpg

Dom2.jpg

The lever action makes the feed smooth and steady, holding the material is also a lot easier.

wow! a jig with a remote control!

way to go - even the mighty Maskery hasn't done one of those!

sorry ... i've been drinking

I'm impressed!
Cheers
Obviously-not-as-mighty-as-he-once-thought Maskery

PS My domino has done hundreds of slots and I'm still on the original cutters. Sorry, but I can only suspect that you are being a bit aggressive, the cutters do need time to cut.

Mark.

The 5mm cutter i have didn`t manage as many as 50 slots before the tip parted company with the cutter.

CIMG5042.jpg

I`d be interested to hear how you get on, if you get in touch with Festool.

Cheers.

Doug

I'm no expert but that looks like a fault in manufacture looks like a fairly clean break so could be a stress line in the metal. I've seen similar on knives due to poor heat treatment.

You guys are not doing me any good you know...

Keep mentioning these Domingo thingies....

I even diverted my stroll at Axminster today...to have a fondle of the green machines...

Really impressive aren't they...I just hope I can continue to resist....yeh..sure I can.... :oops:

Jim

Jim, Jim, Jim
You are feeling sleepy.. very sleeeepy...dom...dom...domino
Resistance is futile...you...need...the...dom...dom...domino
...you...need...the...dom...dom...domino
...you...need...the...dom...dom...domino
When I click my fingers you will awake, raid the family savings, sell the kids and the family pet and go buy a Domino.

Click!!

:lol: :lol:

I can't say exactly how many mortices I get per cutter, but it's into the hundreds and virtually all in hardwoods.

I think feed speed is absolutely critical with the Domino, too fast and the smaller cutters break and the mortice isn't square or accurate (the machine twists if it's struggling with the feed rate), but too slow and the cutter overheats and gets blunt, being fed fresh wood at the correct rate keeps the cutter cooler.

Thanks for all the replies

The picture Doug has posted is exactly the same as both mine.

Clearly from the comments everyone thinks plunge speed is critical, though I think if I went much slower I'd be quicker cutting them by hand. Not really a plus point on such an expensive machine and therefore not all its cracked up to be, in my opinion.

I intend to contact Festool some time next week for their thoughts/advice and will report back if they say anything useful.

Mark

Back