Lie Nielsen tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are not responsible for making my work possible, but they have made my work pleasurable.
This is kind of where I'm at. I get the often touted argument that you don't need expensive tools to do the job but that misses the point of using well made tools when you have access to them.

If LN or Veritas didn't exit, chances are we would be having s similarly loaded thread on why that was the case lamenting on the loss of better made tools. The world is a better place for them in my opinion.

James, my rule is never to knock the tools someone owns. True, tools do not make a cabinetmaker, but there are plenty of cabinetmakers who would enjoy better tools. Many who probably do. We focus on the knowledge gained and not the books in the library.

I am fortunate to have been able to purchase many of the tools I aspired to, although it has taken quite a few decades to do so. They are not responsible for making my work possible, but they have made my work pleasurable. I do enjoy the aesthetic presentation of the tool as much as using the tool when I build furniture. And I will go to the trouble of building my own tools when I believe I can do better.

LN make wonderful tools.

Regards from Perth

Derek
I agree and am somewhat of a hypocrite!

I have a myfold ml8, Naerok table saw and pillar drill so I appreciate decent tools.....

Slowly ridding myself of anything branded titan...!!!

I agree with Derek. I have been a LN user for 30 years. I also like my vintage tools as they have a sole. You don’t own them… rather you add your bit to their story. And LN tools will add their story as we all pass on.

I own a Kearney Treker 2CH slab mill milling machine. It was used by the Navy and then went to Los Almimos lab. From there it went to the engineering lab at CU Boulder were it was used to build a get away package for the space shuttle Challenger. It was never used again and I was lucky to get it. This machine has a sole! Real Provenance.

I remember Jim Kingshot’s view on tools. Almost religious on how he took care of them. He taught me to respect the history of old tools and the respect of those who came before you.

This is kind of where I'm at. I get the often touted argument that you don't need expensive tools to do the job but that misses the point of using well made tools when you have access to them.

If LN or Veritas didn't exit, chances are we would be having s similarly loaded thread on why that was the case lamenting on the loss of better made tools. The world is a better place for them in my opinion.

Yes it is!

I agree and am somewhat of a hypocrite!

I have a myfold ml8, Naerok table saw and pillar drill so I appreciate decent tools.....

Slowly ridding myself of anything branded titan...!!!

The Myford ML7 is a classic. What a wonderful lathe to do small work and model engineering. And that comes from someone with both a Hardinge and a Monarch 10EE.

when my buddy and I first got the 10EE running, it was emitting a blue glow. The speed control uses a series of tubes including two Thtratrons.

His wife knew we had gotten out of an atomic bomb lab. So we told her it was Residual Atomic Radiation leaking out!

Don’t ever do that! It was a joke and the pour woman went totally Nutzoid! It took two days to convince her we were joking!

Devmiester,
that's Naughty.....
I wanted a bigger lathe so my wife said get rid o the one u got....so out went the Super7.....
sorley missed.....and in came a Colchester Student square head.....
Thats until a machine trader died unexpectedly.....
I was then able to buy his S7 and a Myford VMFmill both with delivery wax on em.....
by this time she totally agreed that money in the bank was worthless......hahaha...
as it happens both have increased in value....well what they'll fetch now....
plus on that note a load more machines have been bought.....

Colchester is an old English maker. They are amongst the finest lathes made. Precision Industrial to the max. In the states they are few and far between. Monarch is our top of the line lathe followed by LeBlond. There are other good makers but they tend to be rare or odd ball. American made the pacemaker. One of the finest lathes made but most start at 8000 pounds weight! They were huge!

south Bend was our Myford. But there are features about the Myford with consideration. First the saddle has a milling slotted plate design. This allows for versatile milling attachments, line boring set ups and rear mounted tooling blocks. The ML7 is the only lathe that took this concept that far. But ML7 lathes are hard to find in the states.

One of the coolest wood lathes ever made was the Wadkin RU. It was a gear head pattern makers lathe with an adjustable gap bed. In England they are rare. I finally found one and will move it stateside sometime this summer. It will be a long hard restoration.

I knew the LN's were going for extortionate amounts on the bay of E but just noticed a 51 shooting plane sold late feb for £1,250 o_O

I get it that they are near impossible to buy and there is uncertainty when stocks will be replenished but effectively paying double for a used one is just nuts, especially when it's already one of their highest priced planes.

I knew the LN's were going for extortionate amounts on the bay of E but just noticed a 51 shooting plane sold late feb for £1,250 o_O

I get it that they are near impossible to buy and there is uncertainty when stocks will be replenished but effectively paying double for a used one is just nuts, especially when it's already one of their highest priced planes.
Wow! My LN 51 is still in the original wooden box. If I flogged it for that price, it would be a good return on the unintended investment. I wonder what the unused No. 1 would fetch. :LOL:

It's interesting that a lot of commenters state that their LN tools haven't been used in years or still in the box. Yet they're constantly recommended as the tools to get for your shop.

It's interesting that a lot of commenters state that their LN tools haven't been used in years or still in the box. Yet they're constantly recommended as the tools to get for your shop.
For reference, in the case of the LN51, it comes in a purpose built wooden protective box, hence comments like Mike's about being in the box. Doesn't necessarily mean it's not getting used, but the box is as well.

Wow! My LN 51 is still in the original wooden box. If I flogged it for that price, it would be a good return on the unintended investment. I wonder what the unused No. 1 would fetch. :LOL:
Same here, I have a 51R boxed, I paid a lot less than current RRP and was just lucky in the initial purchase more than anything. I bought it whilst rebuilding my workshop (still not complete) so it hasn't even seen action yet. I have a fair amount of LN tools (far too many really), logically it would make sense to sell them given the silly high prices they are going for now but then I didn't buy them as investments, as you say, its purely unintended.

No 1's are just insane in price since they discontinued them.

I never said I don’t use my LN tools. As shed9 wrote, the best place for to store it when not being used in in its original wooden box. The 51 is too large to fit in my plane till.

The No. 1 is a different matter. I didn’t realize there were specific child labor laws in place when I bought it. :LOL:

My mistake. Obviously, I don't have one, otherwise I would have known about the box deal ;)

I think it was on shooting plane thread where a member mentioned not using his.

I sold a #9 about a month ago for more than double what it cost me! I was shocked at the going price for some of the LN tools. For my tastes, I prefer the LV miter shooting plane hands down over the #9. I got my LV for a song during the "LV scratch and dent" sale. For the life of me, I cannot find anything wrong with the plane! I also sold an iron sole standard angle LN 4-1/2. Got it on a trade and sold it for way more than the value I would have set for it. It just was not to my liking-I also have a Stanley & Sargent 4-1/2, and they may go one of these days.

I have a number of other LN (and LV) tools that earn their keep however.

Just as a heads up to anyone looking to buy LN and finding it hard to find stockists. Classic Hand Tools have a bunch back in stock this week. They have the;

LN 101 low angle bronze
LN 102 violin makers bronze
60 1/2 block
LN 4 (iron version)
LN 71 closed mouth router
LN 271 mini router
LN 073 large shoulder

They seem to have lots of blades back in as well.

Just ordered the 101, 102 and the closed mouth router myself this afternoon. Yes, I know it won't make me a master craftsman.............

People should buy what they need to put themselves above blaming the tool. If that's L-N, so be it.

This gentleman (and wife) make stunning furniture and appear to employ a lot of Lie-Nielsen and some Lee Valley hand tools in doing so. Granted, they're not hurting for power equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture
If they're good enough for them, well, watch a few videos and you be the judge if they'd work for you or if you should be able to make them work for you.

Last edited:
As shed9 has noted, Classic handtools has both Clifton and LN planes for sale on their website.
D
Not sure they have Clifton planes in stock at the moment, I think they have some blades but that's about it. Peter Sefton seems to have best availability for Clifton bench planes (albeit just a No 3 and 5 1/2 right now), whereas I believe Workshop Heaven has some shoulder planes in;

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/hand-tools/planes/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=77
I only have one Clifton, a 4 1/2 which was a birthday gift, it is a thing of beauty and I have to say certainly has the pedigree to play with the likes of LN and LV. I'm sorely tempted to get a No 3 in the near future from Peter.

Just ordered the 101, 102 and the closed mouth router myself this afternoon. Yes, I know it won't make me a master craftsman.............
Here, hang on, nobody told me that. I was under the impression to be a pro, you just need a couple of LN planes and maybe a few Japanese saws.

I have the closed mouth LN router, and while it is very nice, replacement blades are a tad over priced.Plus are limited to sizes, though you can buy an expensive adaptor to use LN smaller irons.
If i was to make the choice again, it would be veritas
A replacement or smaller blade on a veritas is £20, the same on the LM is £40, or £75-80 to get the adaptor too.

Last edited:
Shed9,
They have a Clifton 770 bullnose at £126, a Clifton 410 shoulder at £174.50, a 420 shoulder at £187.50, a 310 at £210, and a 400 shoulder at £73.50. They have No5 jack at £318, a No. 6 Fore at £348, and a 51/2 at £324.
They also have a number of Clifton replacement blades.

Fill your socks, boys!

Back