Lie-Nielsen Router Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirboo

Established Member
Reaction score
Lie-Nielsen held a hand tool expo in Boston (USA) last weekend. A couple of new tools made their debut at the show. Here are a couple of pictures I copied from another forum.

Mirboo":2hbxq2g1 said:
Lie-Nielsen held a hand tool expo in Boston (USA) last weekend. A couple of new tools made their debut at the show. Here are a couple of pictures I copied from another forum.

Is this a first - LN bringing out a tool where LV already has a version out?

BugBear

bugbear":1t9rv9sw said:
Is this a first - LN bringing out a tool where LV already has a version out?
Medium shoulder plane? That low angle shave in the background of pic two is on the same sort of principle as the Veritas one too, isn't it?

I was more thinking "Is this a first - LN bringing out an ugly tool?" Mind you, routers are seldom things of beauty, but the knobs on that... :sick:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":6ibk0i09 said:
I was more thinking "Is this a first - LN bringing out an ugly tool?" Mind you, routers are seldom things of beauty, but the knobs on that... :sick:

Cheers, Alf

You're right Alf, LN never brought out an ugly tool. So I will wait for a better pic. Instead I'm wondering why they come up with the open mouth version. Maybe 'cause there will be a small router too. Ooooooh, that will charge my credit card twice \:D/

In order to fix a wider board to the router's sole, it'd be nice to have some holes. I couldn't find any on the pic. Or the two shiny long stripes, are they elongated holes? :-k

Marc, waiting to see more of it

MarcW":20nropjq said:
Or the two shiny long stripes, are they elongated holes? :-k
That's what I assumed. And you're right; I shouldn't judge its looks on that pic. Finger's crossed I'll be retracting my words. But those knobs... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf - they look handley and grippable to me tho' they could, I 'spose, be a little more like them what you find on an early metal plane at the front...squashed sort of. Proportions of the plane don't look quite right - Rob

Well they look depressingly like the front knobs from LN's bench planes to me - wadda you think? I know it's more economical to have multi-use parts like that, but I do hope it was just for the pre-production model/s. But I was going to stop speculating on the strength of one pic, so I'll shut up now. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Who's given up saying she likes low knobs 'cos people just go into innuendo overdrive... :roll:

Alf":kkpm0v1k said:
...low angle shave in the background of pic two is on the same sort of principle as the Veritas one too, isn't it?
Yep, looks like that shave is based on the Stanley # ... only I forgot the numbers of them. The one I was thinking of also had a metal brother.

As for following LV, well, LV had their chisels for a long time :wink:

For the router, shorter knobs would be nice. The slotted openings beside the throat look like maybe they are for an adjustable fence, perhaps?

Take care, Mike

Alf":6r46x50s said:
Who's given up saying she likes low knobs 'cos people just go into innuendo overdrive... :roll:

Hi Alf

I too like low knobs ( on my planes that is ) as all of my bar bar one ( which I made a new knob and tote for) are of the low knob verity :)

See no innuendos ( walking away before that changes :-# )

Alf":1skadu0a said:
That low angle shave in the background of pic two is on the same sort of principle as the Veritas one too, isn't it?

I didn't even notice the low angle shave when I posted the picture.

MarcW":1skadu0a said:
Maybe 'cause there will be a small router too.

The guy who posted these pictures on Woodcentral referred to a 71 (pictured) and a smaller one that he called a 171(??). A different bloke posting on WoodNet saw a small router plane at the show that he thought was about the size of a Stanley 271.

Apparently the honing guides that featured here briefly a while back also made their debut at the show.

Mirboo":3j31mono said:
...Apparently the honing guides that featured here briefly a while back also made their debut at the show.
Yes, I was a bad person for posting those :oops: ...it initiated a few exchanges with TLN concerning posting those pictures.

On the other hand, it was impetus for LN making their web site more secure...

Take care, Mike

MikeW":32xfrgx4 said:
Alf":32xfrgx4 said:
...low angle shave in the background of pic two is on the same sort of principle as the Veritas one too, isn't it?
Yep, looks like that shave is based on the Stanley # ... only I forgot the numbers of them. The one I was thinking of also had a metal brother.
Someone over on Ubeaut was wondering about it too, so I bothered to dig out some info.

I wonder if the small router will be like the Stanley or the Record - I believe the Record version has an improved clamping mechanism?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1pff4o0y said:
I wonder if the small router will be like the Stanley or the Record - I believe the Record version has an improved clamping mechanism?

I've never used either the Record 722 or the Stanley 271 so I'm not speaking from experience, but I like the design of the Record one better, specifically because of the clamping mechanism. BugBear gives a rundown of the design here.

Mirboo":6b605k6g said:
I've never used either the Record 722 or the Stanley 271 so I'm not speaking from experience, but I like the design of the Record one better, specifically because of the clamping mechanism. BugBear gives a rundown of the design here.

Great; now the price on eBay will go up :)

BugBear

Alf":1pfrpxmc said:

Cheers, Alf

Well - ours certainly does... but it won't be around 'till next year.... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

... and it's like he'd never been away...

Can we take two teasers at the same time, I ask myself? 8-[ :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":25yhfv13 said:

Cheers, Alf

:lol:

Leave it to Alf to critique the wood. :wink:
Personally, I can't imagine low knobs on a router plane, given the grip that I usually use. I'm more a fan of the low knobs being on smoothers and high knobs on jacks, jointers, etc.

At least w/ the LN having a through-screw, you won't have to do anything special to "roll your own." :)

I'll post pics of my LN small router plane after work today. :wink:

PS: I was reading the post about crumbly LN chisels when I saw you're still catching flak about being a spokesmodel (I mean doing reviews) for LV. Whenever I'm researching something, I look for Alf's or Derek's reviews. I'd miss them if they stopped doing them.

Back