Lie-Nielsen Router Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ydb1md":1hdyd32b said:
Whenever I'm researching something, I look for Alf's or Derek's reviews. I'd miss them if they stopped doing them.

Hear hear......

Except I couldn't find a review by either prior to placing my order for a new Lie-Nielsen small router plane. :oops:

Hi mr,

Thanks for the links. I had read those reviews of the Veritas router plane.

All I was trying to say was that I couldn't find a review by either Alf or Derek, of the new small Lie-Nielsen router plane.

Dave L thanks that explains it :)
Ian S, ahhhh Sorry, not sure that either has done an LN review, not seen it myself if they have. :)
Mike

Can't speak for Derek, but unless I buy 'em myself you're all outta luck. Well you are anyway, but even if I was doing reviews you would be. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

The new Lie-Nielsen 271 looks a lot like the Phelps mini router plane pictured on Frank Sronce's webpage.

The footprint of the sole looks pretty much like a shrunk down Stanley or Record 71. The picture earlier in this thread of the larger Lie-Nielsen router plane looks a lot like the Stanley and Record 71's so I guess the Lie-Nielsen routers will have a family resemblance.

The optional blades are a Good Thing; like that. But I dunno, it does appear to suffer from a couple of problems, in addition to not looking cute. :wink: Viz; the bullnose position apparently isn't, and as someone considerably more observant than I pointed out, the absence of any sole area at all along the centre line could potentially make for problems on narrow edges. Be interesting to see what new owners think when they've had time to give it a bit of a workout.

Cheers, Alf

There is some more information on the Phelp's router here. The Lie-Nielsen one is not exactly the same but there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference.

Mirboo":295ctxex said:
There is some more information on the Phelp's router here. The Lie-Nielsen one is not exactly the same but there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference.

I think there's a clever variation:

From Dave Brown's pictures on Woodnet:

271d.jpg

Since the blade can be reversed, it appears that LN have made the "handle" an 'S' so there's a comfortable concavity for your thumbs in both directions.

The Phelps doesn't have this.

BugBear

bugbear":1rdo518z said:
I think there's a clever variation:

From Dave Brown's pictures on Woodnet:

271d.jpg

Since the blade can be reversed, it appears that LN have made the "handle" an 'S' so there's a comfortable concavity for your thumbs in both directions.

BugBear

Good eyes. The 'S' is a nice touch for the thumbs. Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but the LN 271 also has a 71 open throat design. I've yet to decide if I like that or not. :wink:

ydb1md":1st6vx0d said:
Good eyes. The 'S' is a nice touch for the thumbs. Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but the LN 271 also has a 71 open throat design. I've yet to decide if I like that or not. :wink:

Of course, the #271 and #722 are also symmetric in both directions, by dint of not being curved at all!

BugBear

Alf":38non19v said:
The optional blades are a Good Thing; like that. But I dunno, it does appear to suffer from a couple of problems, in addition to not looking cute. :wink: Viz; the bullnose position apparently isn't, and as someone considerably more observant than I pointed out, the absence of any sole area at all along the centre line could potentially make for problems on narrow edges. Be interesting to see what new owners think when they've had time to give it a bit of a workout.

Cheers, Alf

I get a bit confused with the term bullnose as it relates to router planes. :?

If this is a bullnose plane.
yellowyes.gif

05p4201s2.jpg

And this is a bullnose plane configured as a chisel plane.
yellowyes.gif

05p4201inset3.jpg

Then wouldn't this be considered a router plane in a chisel plane configuration rather than a bullnose configuration.
cover.gif

05p3801-inset.jpg

On this basis wouldn't you say that the Lie-Nielsen router plane lacks the ability to be configured as a chisel plane because from Dave Brown's picture on WoodNet we can see that when reversed, the blade of the Lie-Nielsen doesn't project past the edge of the router body.

271c.jpg

The Stanley 271 is similar in this respect.

SR265.jpg

The Record 722 probably (I don't have one to check and I can't find any pictures on the Internet) can be configured as a bullnose (chisel??) plane because the second blade mounting hole is much closer to the edge.

CH002.jpg

With respect to the Lie-Nielsen and Stanley 271's can someone please explain to me what advantages there are to using the blade in the so called bullnose mode compared to the "normal" configuration.
help.gif

I can envisage a potential problem with the lack of any sole area along the centre line, when cleaning out a mortice for a hinge on a narrow edged box for example.

Latest posts

Back