Lie Nielsen #1 & #2 bench planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own or has anyone here used a LN #1 or #2 bench plane?

I've used my block planes as mini-smoothers when I'm building small boxes but was wondering how the smallest bench planes would do -- plus the idea of a reeeaally small bench plane is kinda cool too. :)

bugbear":1b3cnhwo said:
Does anyone here own or has anyone here used a LN #1 or #2 bench plane?

Nope, but you're a cheapskate for wanting a LN #2 instead of a Record!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

BugBear

Cheapskate?! Me? Never?! :shock: :)

I didn't get the Record because it's not bronze. If I dropped the Record, well, I'd have to try and go find another. But then again, Crucible Cast Tungsten Steel does bounce, doesn't it? :roll:
:wink:

Dave
Charley and I were looking at the L-N #1 at the Axminster show recently. It is too small for a grown man or woman to use-for a child it would be great. (although you would be spoiling the little beggar :lol: )
Worth buying if you really need to complete your L-N collection though Dave :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D
DSCF1448.jpg

Philly":y03506v6 said:
Dave
Charley and I were looking at the L-N #1 at the Axminster show recently. It is too small for a grown man or woman to use-for a child it would be great. (although you would be spoiling the little beggar :lol: )
Worth buying if you really need to complete your L-N collection though Dave :wink:
Cheers

I was thinking about how you'd hold it. Wouldn't you actually wrap your entire hand around it, with the web of your thumb around the tote and your fingers over the lever cap -- rather than trying to hold it like a typical bench plane?

Let's face it-its the size of a block plane. You couldn't really use it like a #4. I think it's more of a novelty than a user (although it is built to the usual high standard) There's no bedrock on this one though.
Cheers

Philly":21h0g6he said:
Let's face it-its the size of a block plane. You couldn't really use it like a #4. I think it's more of a novelty than a user (although it is built to the usual high standard) There's no bedrock on this one though.
Cheers
I totally agree.

I was wondering why Stanley, and then others, made it if it weren't supposed to be used. I have the LN 212 and I had a hard time using it until I tried wrapping my entire hand around it. :) Just wishful hoping that I'd missed something about the #1 that might make it usable.

Have you gotten to see a #2 up close Philly?

Not that I can recall-it was a very busy day at that particular show :oops:
I have a #3-as I far as I can tell that's as small as is usable. Even then it fells a bit too small. (Mind you, I'm a convert to the #4 1/2 from the #4 so it would feel small compared to that :lol: )
What have you got in mind, Dave? Or are you just "thinking out loud"?
Cheers

Philly,

Kinda thinking out loud. I saw a #1 on eBay and wondered why they were made. I can't imagine Stanley wasting money on the #1 and #2 if they were really too small to use. I know that Stanley made a lot of questionable products, but that was latter in their game when they realized that handtools days were numbered. I wonder if adjustable mouth block planes were used as mini-smoothers back in the day?

My LN 9-1/2 will function as a smoother on small scale projects but the quality on it is much higher than the old Stanley block planes. I guess I want a mini-smoother for my small projects, jewelry boxes and the like, that looks the part. :)

I believe that No 1's were made for the salesmen to carry around.

I make a few boxes and the smallest I use is a No 3, much smaller and I cannot hold it, I have used it in preference to a block plane in the past.

Bean

Having owned a Sargent 407 (#2 size) I'd say that both the #2 and the #1 were a waste of time for anyone with even small hands. The #3 is about the smallest any adult can hold. And whilst crucible cast steel might bounce, the body of a Record #2 is plane (sic!) old cast-iron - and that doesn't bounce too well.

Scrit

I never realized it was that small. It seems comically small. Why would they even design the tote the way they did unless it was for small children.

I don't think the tote was meant to be gripped. I think you're supposed to wrap your hand around the entire plane. Just my guess. :)

Philly":1dyk5jl7 said:
Ah, thanks Mike. Wondered what I'd spend my last $600 on :roll:
Cheers
Philly :lol:
Glad to be of help, Philly!

It would be a cold, you know, before I parted with the money for a #1--even if Patrick's Bed Rock version is cheaper than and original.

Now what could I spend the bucks on??? How's about this:

mill_0001.jpg

But I didn't need to. A friend decided I needed it for the saws and purchased it for me.

Maybe I could make my own #1? Nah. Still wouldn't be able to hold the thing. On the other hand, the planned handle for the LV LA block or even the Ball Tail for it would be OK. And cheaper. And can be removed.

Take care, Mike
and that's a a all folks.

MikeW":1o6hirap said:
But I didn't need to. A friend decided I needed it for the saws and purchased it for me.

Hang on-this isn't one of those subliminal things, is it Mike? :wink:
I not buying you one. And that's it. :lol:
Cheers
Philly :lol:

Back