Lie Neilsen 97 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some nice work there folks :)
To my mind the chisel plane looks useful...if a bit faffy to use.
I wonder to myself, if anyone has made a very fine adjustable sole chisel plane like this...
I suppose a threaded rod would be too thin, for it to be used like shown with the paper, but would a lever work, possibly
in conjunction with a thread maybe?
Seems like money to be made for someone, I suppose

Tom

Ttrees":17jxryon said:
To my mind the chisel plane looks useful...if a bit faffy to use.
Tom
Yep, it is a bit of faff, but it's not a difficult 'faff' once you get your head round how the tool works. Gradually lowering the sole of the plane via thin bits of printer paper was a bit of 'light bulb' moment, but this technique makes it much more manageable - Rob

Rob, thinking some more, have you ever tried using a pair of large skew chisels... possibly really wide ones with a more acute angle
than what normally is seen on dovetail skew chisels ...if that is the what they are used for.
Tom

Ttrees":3czt33t4 said:
Rob, thinking some more, have you ever tried using a pair of large skew chisels... possibly really wide ones with a more acute angle than what normally is seen on dovetail skew chisels ...if that is the what they are used for.
Tom
Tom, yes you could use a wide skew chisel (if such things exist) and it would work, but to gain the most control, you'd always have to reference it off the surface of the rail. Using the chisel plane means that you create a series of parallel 'flats' which gradually drop until the plane's sole is resting on the rail itself. To do each of those internal corners took no more than ten minutes, so not too onerous a job - Rob

Hi, Tom - I'm curious about what keeps you from sawing most of the waste off and then paring or scraping that joint flush?

Being faced with opposing grain David, would be why I'd be thinking of a solution,
I have no horse in this race though
Tom

Yes, there will be some contrary grain, but easy to float, scrape or slice off, the last being the chosen method.

I get the standards desired here, but I probably would beyond a different method, concede whatever a flush cut saw (or rabbet plane along the grain) provides then cleaned up as little as possible with a float or sheared off with a skew or just laying a thick plane iron on its face.

Not suggesting that the method shown doesn't work, of course it does, but I don't see it as something that creates a need for a chisel plane.

D_W":1onztx6g said:
Yes, there will be some contrary grain, but easy to float, scrape or slice off, the last being the chosen method.

Yep, and that's exactly how you use the chisel plane - Rob

Back