Lewin planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dchenard":1ms55icj said:
How 'bout a #050, complete in its box, for 80£ or so? Sounds like a good deal to you?
Eighty pounds sterling? I'm not au fait with the current market, but ouch, pricey. Makes even Tony Murland seems cheap. Although actually that really isn't bad at all...

Cheers, Alf

dchenard":3vgdorc5 said:
I don't want the complexity of a Stanley 45 or equivalent (or worse)...

Have you tried a Stanley #45? I have a Stanley #50 which I bought new in the 1970's which I have never really got on with. I then bought a Stanley #45 and a Record #405 (I only bought the two because they were going really cheap) and they are so much better than the #50. As Alf suggested, it is probably something to do with the weight of the planes. Also they are not at all complex IMHO.

If I were you I would try before you buy. I am sure you will find a #45 or #405 by far the better option.

And that #45 in mint condition for £150 sounds good - and why would it be a shame to use it - that's what it was designed for :wink:

Paul

Jasper,

I have both and I've just been and had another look at them. Identical, but for a few minor cosmetic differences with patterning on some of the metalwork. They were both bought second-hand and have had a fair bit of use, so are far from mint, but there's nothing wrong with either of them. Both should work exactly the same but somehow I find the 405 better. Perhaps it's all in the mind.

Nothing to lose any sleep over - I don't :wink:

Paul

Alf":3qczwvq2 said:
Oh yes indeedy, always looking for manuals of any plough or combi not already available on t'net. You don't...? You haven't...? Oooo, have you...? [-o<

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

Are you interested in a Sargent combination plane manual? I think I have a copy of one.

Kurt

Paul Chapman":26xa5dn2 said:
I have both and I've just been and had another look at them. Identical
So it's more patriotism then anything else?
Nothing wrong with a little (little!) patriotism mind you.

Jasper (feeling somewhat orangethese days)

Jasper Homminga":3n18dc5e said:
What makes the Record #405 better?
D'you know I've been wondering when someone would ask that... :lol: Well apart from being made in Sheffield, England (which is argument enough :wink: ) it's a little more flexible in what cutters it'll take. Off-hand, and without checking, I seem to remember it has a slightly deeper skate (or was that the 50/050. BB might remember; we had a discussion on this a couple of years ago). So the Record has Ovolo cutters that the Stanley just can't take, at least the one I have does. What I'd really, really like to do is a complete table of differences between all the combis, but my brain just goes Phfttt as soon as I contemplate it. :oops:

Kurt, I very well could be, yes. :) How does it compare to Stan Faullin's?

Cheers, Alf

Jasper Homminga":1ihh2elk said:
So it's more patriotism then anything else?

Quite possibly - but of the sub-conscious kind :wink:

Another (very) slight difference between my two is that the handle on my #405 is very nicely rounded on the edges and ever so slightly smaller than the one on my #45, so it fits better in my hand. So maybe it's just a case of it feels more comfortable (and it's made in England 8) 8) )

Paul

Paul Chapman":1zvg2opu said:
dchenard":1zvg2opu said:
I don't want the complexity of a Stanley 45 or equivalent (or worse)...

Have you tried a Stanley #45? I have a Stanley #50 which I bought new in the 1970's which I have never really got on with. I then bought a Stanley #45 and a Record #405 (I only bought the two because they were going really cheap) and they are so much better than the #50. As Alf suggested, it is probably something to do with the weight of the planes. Also they are not at all complex IMHO.

If I were you I would try before you buy. I am sure you will find a #45 or #405 by far the better option.

And that #45 in mint condition for £150 sounds good - and why would it be a shame to use it - that's what it was designed for :wink:

Paul

Hi,

I made dadoes yesterday and continued on some grooves today. I like my two #45ers but setting up is tedious. After adjusting depth of the cutter, one has to align the skates and the nickers. They have the time consuming habit to be never parallel :roll: , then align parallel the fence too.

Some days I doesn't succeed to do this properly as shown in the pic. I couldn't bring the left nicker of its skate to the cutter's edge. So now I have tearout :cry:

All in all it's a fantastic plane as it is versatile and can do good work in grooves, beads and perhaps a little less in dadoes, but that's man caused :oops: It's not that cumbersome, the best performance being its wooden fence excelling that of all wooden molding planes. I'd check all alternatives on this point.

Marc

Stanley45_4.JPG

Hi Paul,

I merely rely on the nickers. Normally it works well. The nickers are a problem if you use them brandnew. They dig way to much in the wood, 'cause too long. So I grind them off to one millimeter and hone on the flat side. This way the plane glides softly over the board and the nickers separate the fibers cleanly.

Marc

MarcW":2xu3cznk said:
The nickers are a problem if you use them brandnew. They dig way to much in the wood, 'cause too long.

Yes that's what I've found, Marc. They work much better when they are a bit shorter :wink:

Paul

Sorry to stumble back to the Lewin for a moment, but has any nice (and lucky) Lewin owner got a box with the original lid and label? Just dawned on me mine hasn't, and I'd like to add pics of the label in particular to this (so far mythical) page on the Lewin. Anyone feeling helpful with a camera? [-o< If it's too much hassle, no worries - just don't tell me. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1xedcu7k said:
Sorry to stumble back to the Lewin for a moment, but has any nice (and lucky) Lewin owner got a box with the original lid and label? Just dawned on me mine hasn't, and I'd like to add pics of the label in particular to this (so far mythical) page on the Lewin. Anyone feeling helpful with a camera? [-o< If it's too much hassle, no worries - just don't tell me. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Sorry Alf,

I sticked to the #45, a little bit too late #-o and I am no lucky Lewin owner, so I'd liked to be, but never heard of the brand :eek: . I didn't want to hijack the thread, just pushed to a more sophisticated combination plane as I made surprisingly very positive experiences. But never too late to have more planes :idea:

Marc

MarcW":3gnaa4o7 said:
I didn't want to hijack the thread, just pushed to a more sophisticated combination plane as I made surprisingly very positive experiences.
Marc, go ahead. It's nice to see information on dadoes that won't lead to bloodshed... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back