Lewin planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenth

Reaction score
Hi All, first post, first question ;-)

What are the Lewin plough planes worth both in term of money and usability ? There's a lot of fuss about Stanley and Record but I can hardly find information about Lewin...

Thanks for your time, Kind regards, Laurent

Welcome to the forum, Laurent.

For those not familiar with the Lewin:

sidetables027.jpg

The Lewin planes are a pet subject of mine, not that I actually know zip about them except the info contained here - British Planemakers totally ignores them. You might have found us via my website perhaps? If not, you might find the adverts for them on my site marginally interesting. I get a fairly regular, if small, trickle of emails wondering about value. They seem to go for about the same rate as a Record #050 - and just as wide a range of figures as the #050 seems to attract as well. One in mint condition would be worth quite a bit more, I would have thought, because the finish doesn't wear well and they did get used. Although I feel perhaps this much for a good example is going a little far... :roll: Best way to get a current value is look on Ebay and amongst the dealers really.

Usability. Well I like it. Being aluminium it should be awful, but it isn't; the wearing parts are all steel. IIRC some folks have had grumbles about the cam-style clamping knobs slipping, but that may vary from example to example. The blades are a bit odd in shape; replacements from Stanley or Record won't fit IIRC, certainly not in the wider sizes. I really need to get together some pics and info on it in one place instead of relying on my poor memory like this. :oops: But anyway, might help a bit.

Cheers, Alf

No, no, it's a total failure as a drive-by - you can't make out TLN's signature on the side. #-o :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who thought the cleaness of the bead was a better drive-by, to be honest...

laurenth":3j56daol said:
btw, as far as I remember, I saw somewhere you were after a copy of the manual ... is it still the case ?
Oh yes indeedy, always looking for manuals of any plough or combi not already available on t'net. You don't...? You haven't...? Oooo, have you...? [-o<

Cheers, Alf

Alf, Martin,

If what I saw is what I get, I should have one with the plane... No problem then mailing both of you a copy. I'll post back once I have the box (but please be patient, the parcel is to be delivered to a friend of mine in UK, and I'll have then to organize a trip from France to get the box back ...)

Kind regards , Laurent

Très bien! If it's okay I'll stick it up on my site for the benefit of all - might be the kickstart needed to get a Lewin page done... :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just in case anyone wants another item for their 'Plane Manuals Collection' (Shan't mention any names :)), I've made up a PDF of the Manual that comes with my Record #50 Plane. BTW, the file is about 2.8Meg.
Andy

Andy,

You excellent fellow, you. =D> Is it going to be staying up? If so I will add a link onto my combination plane page if that would be okay? If not, I could find a permanent home for it...

Cheers, Alf

Who bitterly regrets the day she sold her complete Record #050 #-o

Alf,
I'd like to say that it will be permanent, but it's kinda job dependant, and it looks like there's a change on the horizon!!
So for safety's sake, it might be worth taking a copy and hosting it on your pages.
I really must look into getting some more permenant webspace...
Andy

Well folks, patience is a virtue :D and we have one Lewin manual on line courtesy of Laurent =D> =D> =D> 1.3mb PDF, fyi. The dedicated Lewin page is still a bit of a work in progress though... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1gel5jis said:
Andy,

You excellent fellow, you. =D> Is it going to be staying up? If so I will add a link onto my combination plane page if that would be okay? If not, I could find a permanent home for it...

Cheers, Alf

Who bitterly regrets the day she sold her complete Record #050 #-o

Alf,

Why do you regret selling your #050? Is it that good?

I'm contemplating buying one (I know where I can strike a few), would that be a good choice for grooves and simple mouldings? I don't want the complexity of a Stanley 45 or equivalent (or worse)...

Thnx,

DC

dchenard":1gwqvh6o said:
Why do you regret selling your #050? Is it that good?
Not especially, but I'm a c*ll*ct*r and I'll never get another one as cheaply as the one I sold. #-o

dchenard":1gwqvh6o said:
I'm contemplating buying one (I know where I can strike a few), would that be a good choice for grooves and simple mouldings? I don't want the complexity of a Stanley 45 or equivalent (or worse)...
I'm the wrong person to ask really, 'cos I like the #45. I've never really gelled with the light combination planes like the #50 or #050, although I do like the Lewin. To be honest I don't find the #45 any more complex - as soon as you go to two skates it's taken a step up in complexity. The #55 though, that is a bit daunting and pretty heavy too. Of the two, the #050 is a slightly better plane though, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf.

My sister happens to have a 45 Type I in near mint condition, she bought it for her (then) boyfriend's birthday, but they broke off before his birthday so she still has the plane... She'll probably ask 150£ or so for it, too much for me, and besides, being valuable to a collector it would be a shame to use it...

How 'bout a #050, complete in its box, for 80£ or so? Sounds like a good deal to you?

Thanks again,

DC

Latest posts

Back