Let talk Jaws and chuck attachments

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbud78

Established Member
Reaction score
I've now got two chucks, an SC4 and an RP4000 but I have very few Jaws, just the standard 50mm ones and the pin jaws so I'm looking to increase my collection but not sure what to get next.

I've been doing bowls more often than not but want to try everything eventually, thinking the 35mm's for smaller work and some re mountable jaws for finishing the bottoms of bowls ATM.

Any suggestions as to what you use a lot ?

Jim

I've only used the standard "C" jaws on both my chucks but I've heard the O'Donnell jaws are quite popular and improve access on some jobs.

for smaller work (eg the stems of apples) your jaws need to be able to grip very fine stock dimensions. I use ebony from reject guitar finger boards further cut into lengths about 10mm square. Your standard 2" jaws wont touch those because they don't close up enough to a tight enough radius. It meant for me I have to mount a Jacobs chuck in the headstock with all the attendant problems of it wanting to ride out while the lathe is spinning. So on my shopping list is a set of jaws that will do that job, ie fine enough to enclose small enough to grip very narrow stock.

The other obvious need is for bigger bowls. Not only for safety sake does it make sense to have wider jaws but also for the ratio of the foot to the finished bowl size. If you want a foot in the design and you only have 2" jaws it rather restricts your foot inner diameter so a bigger set gives that choice too.

I would go for a larger set of jaws as for dole jaws you had best look at what fit the chucks as they can be quite restricted in the size. maybe better to buy a faceplate and make your own reversing system.
For the small stuff I have these which you can buy extra collets for

chuck.jpg

Random Orbital Bob":bb5towts said:
I've not seen a set like that Derek. Looks interesting for small stuff. Who makes it?

I brought it from Axminster but have not seen it on their site for a while. The thread size is 1" X 8 and with the adaptor in the box can also be used on 3/4" X 16

DSCF5460_zpsj1unf1pk.jpg

Still showing a manual for it HERE

They still do one with the smaller collets HERE but you are restricted for sizes.

I've got ER32 chucks for my metal lathe and mill so I'd like one in M33 x 3.5 for my wood Lathe if anyone makes one? Don't need a set as I have a full set of collets.

Somebody mentioned O'Donnell jaws. I bought a set including reducing inserts and I think they care just brilliant. They give good access and, more importantly, help to keep fingers away from protruding chuck jaws. I also have just bought a craft supplies maxi grip chuck off eBay. Not a new design by any means, but NO protruding jaws. I just need to sort out an adaptor to fit my Myford now.

I also have an assortment of er40 collets which are nice when needing to remove and replace work, they fit my metal lathe too - dual purpose, that is rare these days.

K

I find a set of big A type jaws useful for larger items like bowls and platters.
I did buy a smaller set of jaws, but access to areas close to the mounting is difficult so I bought the O'Donnel set and agree with the above comments that they are hugely useful for smaller items, giving much easier access to the tooling.

The other set I find invaluable is wood plate support jaws. These allow big Cole type jaws to be be home made for reverse turning of bowls/platters etc. The larger size can also be fitted with home made button jaws very easily to reverse smaller items too.

The jaws I use the most (in my Nova chucks) are probably the Powergrip which can hold a large dovetail/spigot (I think I usually use 80mm) and a spigot of maybe 40mm length. It's great for large vases/vessels (I've done some over 45cm tall) and can easily hold logs over 30cm diameter. These days though I tend to use faceplates on something that size.

I also like the step jaws, although to be honest I mostly use the outer step, which holds a dovetail of 64mm.

I've got the Axi Evolution, and recently acquired an SC4 as well. I've got the standard C jaws on the Axi, which are the most commonly used ones on that.

I also have the big 250mm rubber peg based aluminium button jaws - which I use a lot if I need to go back and repair something that I've turned then removed the mounting spigot or recess from.

I've a set of wood jaw plates for the Evolution too, which come in handy for making jaws on a budget from cheap off cuts, for oddly shaped or very small projects. They've not been used a great deal so far, but I have plans!

The SC4 I've only had about a month, but I plan on buying a couple of faceplate rings to go with the standard 50mm jaws, and I can see the pin jaws coming in handy too, tho I've yet to use them - but I plan on turning a fair amount of very small jewelry type projects in the coming months, and the pin jaws seem to be ideal, short of going for a collet system, or turning my own wood ones.

The only jaws I can see myself ever buying on top of this lot, is a set of larger, meatier ones for holding bigger projects, but since my lathe isn't huge, I'm not sure it'll ever be neccessary.

The wood ones and the button jaws are both very handy, I'd recommend either or both! :)

Nic.

Good point - cole jaws. I actually bought one of those cheapie/10% off/free delivery SN2 clone chucks from Rutlands one Easter just to permanently house my big COLE jaws. Very useful indeed and the chuck was only £65 which was in fact less than the jaws!!

Now I have a dedicated cole jaw setup that is nice and easy to setup. I'd still prefer that top of the range Jet with built in vacuum chuck but for now the cole jaws will do.

You've also got me salivating for O'Donnell jaws too. I've seen them in use but not tried myself but its patently clear they're great for close up on the chuck side work. They're on my Xmas list too.

Latest posts

Back