Chuck Jaw Compatibility (Nova, Record Power)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a RP SC4 for a while and recently got another chuck, a Nova SuperNova2. Before buying, I did some research to make sure the Nova would accept RP jaws (everywhere stated they interchange fine)
I was aware the Nova contracted/expanded in the opposite direction to the SC range.

I've been using the Nova with some RP 50mm jaws on and everything seems fine. However, I've just read in the SC4 manual that if you put RP jaws on a Nova chuck you need to put jaw 2 on slide 4 and vice versa. 1 and 3 are fitted as usual, this is to account for the opposite direction. Fair enough.

This is the confusing bit (for me), the SuperNova 2 I got was a 'Euro' version (or something like that) that operates the same way as the SC range. Do I still need to 'flip' jaws 2 and 4?

I've emailed RP and Teknatool, but I doubt I'll get a conclusive answer.

I've been using the RP jaws on the Nova for about a week, fitted with the jaw number matching the slide and haven't noticed any issues. Some advice from people with more turning experience would be appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 12
I think that there may be confusion about Jaws and slides.
As i understand nova,RP and sorby patriot use the same jaw layout thats the slot in the back and screw size and centres.
It doesn’t matter which slide you put them on they are all the same.
If you remove the slides with jaws from the scroll then they need putting back in the correct slot.

I have exactly the same except in reverse. I had the Supernova and then bought the SC4. I find the jaws are all interchangeable as per slide no. without issues. I also have Charnwood jaws that fit both chucks similarly except for the fixing screws which Charnwood supply separately.
HTH

Latest posts

Back