Les Paul Guitars x2 (lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of those Epiphones realy are not up too much, but then what do you expect for a licenced product that retails for a few hundred quid. Even the cheaper Gibsons aren't too special, you have to lay out top cash to get a really good one.

I've now agreed with the tutor at my night class, I'm doing a Les Paul copy for my final year project. Have got the plans, am reading and re-reading Melvyn Hiscock's book, scouring the net for threads like these and will probably go and acquire the mahogany this weekend. The difficult bit will be trying to stop myself from starting it before October. Might have a few dry runs on scrap wood to hone techniques. Really looking forward to it

Ironballs":2e7hlxhn said:
Some of those Epiphones realy are not up too much, but then what do you expect for a licenced product that retails for a few hundred quid. Even the cheaper Gibsons aren't too special, you have to lay out top cash to get a really good one.

that may be so. mine is the 400, supposed to be the top one.
they still use the same wood, the same machine, and the same cuts...
(epiphone has been making guitars for over 80 years)
it just goes to show that there is that little extra Mojo that Gibson put in theirs.. that's the Mojo i dont think i could replicate cheaper than gibson's !

i used to have a epiphone Elitist series.. that was better than a (cheap) Gibson !

Those looking for advice on Les Paul projects should check out the Luthier Than Thou blog.

http://www.setchellguitars.co.uk/ant/blog/?page_id=4

The main message for me is try not to drop it when it's finished!

Also Stef, check out "How to make your guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. He takes you through everything you need on setting up your guitar. If your neck is bowed towards you rather than away from you, then that's curable. The only real issue is if the neck is twisted or bows away from you. I got my copy of the book on ebay - worth every penny.

One day I may build my own guitar - it's a long way off though. I did think of going on a course at Bailey guitars in Scotland. You go on a two week course and come away with a guitar you have built - check out their site. Costs a fair bit though.

Good luck, you skilled people :D :D

Steve

Ironballs, I would guess that you have have already found the MIMF website but if not it would be worth a look esp. the libray section.

http://www.mimf.com/

Steve with the Black Dog":3bf4wkn4 said:
Also Stef, check out "How to make your guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. He takes you through everything you need on setting up your guitar. If your neck is bowed towards you rather than away from you, then that's curable. The only real issue is if the neck is twisted or bows away from you. I got my copy of the book on ebay - worth every penny.

Steve

yep, i found loads of tip to rectify the neck.
it basically involve getting the frets off and replanning the neck.
unfortunately, this means byebye pearl inlays.
other techniques involve changing the gauge of the frets to thicker ones, or unglueing the fretboard, straightening the neck, and reglueing....
all of this pretty hairy to get right, if you ask me !
but still.. who doesnt like a challenge ?

srs I hadn't come across that site so glad you posted it. Have you seen the site for Tonetech? They've just set up an instrument builders forum on their retail website, has lots of potential and it's nice to have a UK resource dedicated to the topic.

They're on www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk

Now on my second read through of Melvyn Hiscock's book

Any progress to report on these guitars? Interested to see how they come out and I'll be starting my build in September

Ironballs":1600rbbn said:
Any progress to report on these guitars? Interested to see how they come out and I'll be starting my build in September

No more progress I'm affraid. I have a new job and have moved to Bournemouth, so I no longer have a workshop. It will be at least a year before I can do any more.

Good luck with your build. We want a WIP thread :) .

My mate runs Crimson Guitars and produces the best bespoke guitars I have every played. I own a couple fo his Robert Fripp type Guitars and he is makeing me another as we speak, compared to my Parker Fly Deluxe, they are stunning.. great to play hold and sound fantastic. Fixes my Guitar craft intruments too.

Best bit is he runs a series of diaries and has several how I build these and its honestly amazing, maybe he will help inspire you all some. Has a tone woods section too.

www.crimsonguitars.com

http://www.crimsonguitars.com/diary.html

http://www.crimsonguitars.com/instrument_gallery.html

I love the Elm top Robert Fripp Slimline

Have a look, its worth it.

Nice guitars there Projekct.

Slim, sorry to hear that your build is on long term hold, hope you manage to get your workshop back and finish them off.

Lack of experience is not putting me off, never done anything like this before but I'm going to give it a go. It may take a while but I'll document it and post up the progress.

Look out Slash, here I come 8)

Back